started polishing my wheels...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wheels have only been stripped, the centers have been polsihed but need work due to light scratches..

You must be registered for see images attach

They started out like this...

Also found out the centers didn't have clear on them.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Wow, what'd you use? Mine are horrible, I need to clean them up. I recently had the wheels off and oiled the studs, then they dripped so now they look really awful.

Did you use a buffing ball or something?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea I used a great tool called my right hand LOL.

No man I used my hand and that was it. What you see in the centers is some 400 grit paper, followed by 1500 wet and then one of them(forget which) was 0000 steel wool, then rubbing compound, machine polish, scratch remover, mother's mag/alum. polish.

I kept trying out different combinations on them to see what worked best, including nevrdull, and they basically came up the same. The wheels I just used citristrip from wal-mart, stuff works great.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Thats a good tool to use, always seems to work well. Nice work. Mine are rough, they have some grey crap on them. I think they previous owner tried to cover up some big scrapes... looks awful. Maybe I should save up and get some nice ones...

Nice job though, way to bring em back.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might just be some clear coat like mine man, I'd buy some stripper and hit em, it made mine look alot better. I aint afraid to leave mine as is, but since I already polished the cap I want them to match. I was gonna buy some cheap chrome ones for mine and still might, but these were already on the truck, so didn't cost me anything but time and products to use. I can play around and find out what works and what don't and then next time I'll be ready or can advise others wanting to do their wheels.

Definately keep an eye out for updates as I sand and polish the wheels.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They look better than they did when you started.....good work.

What color will you be painting the inners and another set of straight
correct center caps would do those ole boys some justice.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure they were supposed to be red like the bottom which is red pearl, but maybe black, it match the top then.

Center caps, yea I hate how somebody beat the crap out of them, I ot one missing anyways.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i may be doin this to my wheels soon. the clear coat on mine is horrible and its collectin brake dust. any updates?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL nope haven't touched them since, but clear coat, strip it. I used citristrip and worked great. My centers had no clear though.

In those pics my wheels aren't stripped, I'll have to find pics and post or take some next time I clean it up.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
without the clear coat on the wheels, how much of a pain is it to keep them clean?