stalling when pressing break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am lost like a MF!! my ebrake wasn't working so I went in and adjusted them. 1st I went in adjusted the splitter under the driver side. Nothing changed, so then I adjusting the brakes. took the drum off and starting adjusting the small wheel in between the pads. did it to both sides and seemed to work. was able to get it to hold up in the driveway. took out for a drive and the peddle seemed stiffer but was still working good. next day, I took it out and came to a stop sign and didn't want to stop. the next stop it stops and stalls out. now every time I have to do a complete stop the truck stalls. I press the brakes and the RPMs drops and starts bogging, can also here an air leak. some one help me out and enlighten me on this!!!!

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some more information on your truck will be necessary.... Year, engine, transmission etc... If you hear an air leak its probably a cracked vacuum booster line which might help explain the truck dying at a stop and a stiffer pedal.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Toasted your brake booster. That big air leak you're hearing is a massive vacuum leak.

To confirm it, do this only as a test - don't try to drive the truck this way: unplug the vacuum hose to the booster and cap it off on the engine side so it isn't leaking. Brakes will be much harder to press but you should not hear the leak, and it should not stall.

Richard

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Toasted your brake booster. That big air leak you're hearing is a massive vacuum leak.

To confirm it, do this only as a test - don't try to drive the truck this way: unplug the vacuum hose to the booster and cap it off on the engine side so it isn't leaking. Brakes will be much harder to press but you should not hear the leak, and it should not stall.

Richard

X2

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I changed out the break booster and that air leak seems to be fine. The brakes feels a lot better. Now the issue is that it still stalls a stop. My diagnosis is that the torque converter went out too. It seems to be locking up when come to a complete stop.. any other opinions?

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove it for a test drive and only thing that came on was an O2 sensor code. Code p1870 had come on before I erased them

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
have been doing a bit a research, came across some issues that the brake switch can cause. have seen that in some cases it causes the torque converter to lock/unlock improperly if the brake switch is bad. going to check it out and replace it. see how that goes