Stainless Brake Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blortz

Reaction score
does anyone know where I can get some nice stainless steel brake lines?

anyone with pictures of some on their trucks?

Thanks

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
I don't have any pics at the moment, but I can snap some in the morning. In. The front I have Pro Comp extended stainless braided, and in the rear I have a skyjacker of the same style. If you would like pics I will get some in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

itst9

Reaction score
Doing some reading I finally purchased stainless brake lines from summit, front and rear along with a bleeding kit. Brake problems have never been present but I wanted to ensure it stays that way. Brake fluid has always been clear until this year. The ABS has never worked so I might dig into replacing the sensors to see if that remediates the problem. Removal of the ABS unit was considered but I figure I might as well keep it since it’s not in the way of anything. Brake fluid will be replaced with Regular DOT 3.

Braided line lengths front = 19.5” Rear= 16.5”

Looking at the stainless parts that came today would it be wise to put Teflon or something similar on the threads? I haven’t been under the truck yet but from what I’ve seen it looks like a small amount of Teflon would work.

attachment.php

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Doing some reading I finally purchased stainless brake lines from summit, front and rear along with a bleeding kit. Brake problems have never been present but I wanted to ensure it stays that way. Brake fluid has always been clear until this year. The ABS has never worked so I might dig into replacing the sensors to see if that remediates the problem. Removal of the ABS unit was considered but I figure I might as well keep it since it’s not in the way of anything. Brake fluid will be replaced with Regular DOT 3.

Braided line lengths front = 19.5” Rear= 16.5”

Looking at the stainless parts that came today would it be wise to put Teflon or something similar on the threads? I haven’t been under the truck yet but from what I’ve seen it looks like a small amount of Teflon would work.

attachment.php

Absolutely DO NOT put Teflon tape on the threads!

If it gets into the brake system it will cause all kinds of havoc.

The threads do not seal anyways. The copper washers (always use new) seal the bajo bolts and the double flared lines seal the tapers.

That's the way it is designed to work.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
GW is right! Never use Teflon on brake lines. It only makes matters worse. In fact, I never use Teflon on anything other than coolant fittings. Gas eats it, and all other lines use a flare to seal it.

itst9

Reaction score
Thank you all for the teflon advice. Brake lines were successfully replaced this weekend. To my knowledge no brake work was ever completed by the PO. The rear hard line and drivers side front had some marred threads which slowed the replacement down but were corrected. I was however quite impressed by speed of the bleeder kit. I placed 10 psi of pressure in the bleeder bottle and bled the system in ~ an hour from the time I took the brake fluid reservoir off and back on. Going to 15psi worked but was not necessary as the bleeder cap wanted to start leaking which was snug but not overly tight. New Dot 3 Synthetic fluid is in and no leaks. Minor adjustments were made to the rear drums and overall the truck has a better feel. I do think some of the feel is just my ease of mind that new lines are on.
Rear Before/After
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23206&d=1398693731
Caliper Bleeder
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23204&d=1398693731
Bleeder
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23205&d=1398693731