Some light removal and 3rd break light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve95

Reaction score
Bought some LEDs, how do u pop the dome light out? I don't want to break it.

Also, I can't get the bulbs out of my 3 brake/ cargo lights.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Bought some LEDs, how do u pop the dome light out? I don't want to break it.

Also, I can't get the bulbs out of my 3 brake/ cargo lights.

bulbs should just pull out of the 3rd brake light

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
3rd brake light bulbs can be tough. Easiest way is to take the entire housing off and gently poke them out from the back side with a small screwdriver. Word of warning, the bases on your new LED bulbs might be too wide and cause a short in the housing. I bought some LED bulbs for mine and they were just about 1mm thicker on the bases than standard bulbs but that was enough to cause a short and start blowing 20a fuses in the box until I replaced them with standard bulbs. Those bulbs also permanently widened the sockets so they didn't grip the standard bulbs very tightly anymore. I later went to a full aftermarket LED housing because my lens cracked and is no longer produced. Center dome light just pops out, if it's stuck in there real well you can kind of shimmy it down on one side with a screwdriver until it pops loose. Map lights on the side have little loops that hook into the fixture, put a little pressure on the metal pieces that grip the bulb and it should slide out no problem.

EDIT: Re-read that and I'm not sure if you were asking about the dome light cover or the bulb itself. The cover has a small indention on the long sides that you can stick a small flat head screwdriver into and gently push in towards the bulb, that will release pressure on the little plastic clips and let it slide down out of the housing.

Last edited:

Steve95

Reaction score
So I got the 3rd break apart and got the cargo light bulbs out after them both breaking. The LEDs look kick ass! Going to try my luck at the dome light tomorrow, gotta detail it tomorrow too.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Word of warning, the bases on your new LED bulbs might be too wide and cause a short in the housing. I bought some LED bulbs for mine and they were just about 1mm thicker on the bases than standard bulbs but that was enough to cause a short and start blowing 20a fuses in the box until I replaced them with standard bulbs.

You're lucky the fuse blew. :gr_grin:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Personally I would recommend the full led 3rd brake light, way better than leds in the stock housing

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're lucky the fuse blew. :gr_grin:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Yikes! First thought that popped into my head when it happened wasn't "Wow, I'm lucky" but I'm starting to rethink that. Also I agree with the recommendation for the full LED housing, looks awesome.

Steve95

Reaction score
Looking for some aftermarket headlights too... Does the new 3rd come with a seal? And what's a good place to look for one?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New LED 3rd brake light does come with a seal, however I had to silicone around mine to stop a water leak. In my case that was probably caused by my SiriusXM antenna being routed out of that hole to the roof. Here's the one I used, I bought Anzo to match the rest of my exterior lighting.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ann-531065

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bturner333