SM465 to NV4500 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RattlePuss

Reaction score
hi everyone, i have a 89 K2500 with a 6.2 Diesel and a SM465. im gathering parts to swap a NV4500 because at highway speeds 465+highway= no happy 6.2, what do i need to swap the trans? the pickup has hydraulic clutch so im assuming that should bolt on to a 96+ nv4500? ive been reading forums but everyone says something different. im getting the trans for 300 at my local junkyard which i find to be pretty cheap, what parts do i need to complete the job. im ditching the 241 in favor of a 205 32 spline for the nv4500. thank you!

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The later model NV4500 has an internal slave cylinder, so you will need to find new hydraulic line and possibly master cylinder to support that. I used an early model NV4500 to swap with my SM465 and it literally bolted right in. Had to use the NV4500 shift fork and throwout bearing, but the SM465 slave bolted to the bell housing directly. They have the same input shaft and same NP241 transfer case. Even the SM465 transmission mount was in the right place. All electrical connections were the same also.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes early model had the lower first and external slave cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RattlePuss

Reaction score
ok so i went to the junk yard today to see if it was a extenal slave and it wasnt :( so what do i need to adapt the internal slave to my pickup? BTW i really appreciate your help buddy, i know im asking alot of questions but i want to get most of the parts that way once i start the swap i can actually finish it up lol this pickup is my DD

RattlePuss

Reaction score
will this adapter bell housing from AA work? that way i can use my external slave cylinder or am i stuck finding a way to use the internal slave? this is the part #712576

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how the internal setup works, but I believe the internal slave replaces the fork and throwout bearing on the input shaft. The hydraulic line attaches directly to the slave. The AA kit looks to work, but I think it's meant for the mechanical clutch linkage in the older trucks. It may be cheaper to buy the master, hydraulic line, and slave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk