Slight Rough Idle and TBI help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it running right.

There is another way to set your min idle screw, you put it on a scanner and look at your IAC counts. Then adjust the screw in or out until you get a little over 10 counts on the IAC. If it's up around 70+ you need to screw the min idle screw in until it gets below 40. If your idle is high and the IAC is closed down to zero and your min idle scew is backed out, you probably have a vacuum leak.

Now look at your TPS to ensure it's ~0.45V at idle (with engine off) then slowly depress the gas pedal until you get to WOT it should increase smoothly and reach ~4.5+V. If you don't have an adjustable one, with slotted holes, you can drill them out and get it adjusted that way :waytogo:
Thanks. I do not have a scanner so this method did what I needed it to do. I may order a cable and use winaldl on my laptop in the future. That way I can view data on a large screen. ;)

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As an update, it's been a couple of weeks now and it has not died again so the manual idle speed tweak took care of that. The off idle tip in is right now and it accelerates smoother with what I have done so far. It used to buck a little when cruising at slower speeds. Most of that is gone now.
I tested the tps and it was off a good bit. Mine was not slotted so I used my dremmel to enlarge the holes then dialed it back. That did not seem to make any difference in how it ran though. I'm winning.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought I had updated here somewhere. I did replace the distributor with a new stock Napa unit. After reading how the cracked magnets could affect performance I gave in and bought a new one. I thought it was funny how the Napa site made it sound like this was a Napa made to spec unit just for them and all. The box is a nice multicolor label with Napa right there on it and inside there is return information with CarQuest's name printed on it. Haha
Anyway, it's running pretty good now and I shouldn't have to worry about the electricals for a while.

Attachments

• C97D4D06-9E73-4DBB-9356-3234C68F2592.jpg
    C97D4D06-9E73-4DBB-9356-3234C68F2592.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 6
  • F09826FB-E09D-4EF1-BA21-6FD05D6EE5A0.jpg
    F09826FB-E09D-4EF1-BA21-6FD05D6EE5A0.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 6

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Guess: NAPA, CarQuest, Advance, and others all use the same supplier. Someone at that supplier got confused, dropped CarQuest leaflets into a NAPA box.

Second Guess: Someone bought a NAPA distributor, then bought a CarQuest distributor, and returned the one in the NAPA box...after having a bit of fun with the leaflets.