Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Already sold locally. After tearing into this IFS I found so much stuff wrong with it, I'm surprised it hasn't just tossed the wheels into the ditch and sent me down the road on the front bumper.

But I guess I'll share a progress shot. I figured there would be more flak for no pictures lol

You must be registered for see images

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Looks good are you gona cut all the mounts off the frame?

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yeah I have to for my shock hoops. Firing up the plasma if we can get it functional. If not, sawzall and grinder is coming back out. My main concern now is removing the exhaust (while it's easy to get to) and installing the shorties. Then putting on the spring hangers so I can make it a roller. Then getting it on a trailer to being it to my friends shop with 220 and a welder to finish it up and do the exhaust.

My cats are in the way for the pass side rear hanger.

You must be registered for see images

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Shes gona sound sweet with no exhaust! Haha

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
It is time... FINALLY. Got a loaner truck to use while my truck is on the stands. Also warming up so I can get the motorcycle out to get around while my truck has no wheels on it.

This is the last post you will see with my truck and IFS!

You must be registered for see images attach

It was definitely time to fix it.

Starting the teardown of the IFS. This will differ from truck to truck, depending on model/lift/etc. The IFS lift is sold, so I had to save those parts. I took it off in "chunks" as best I could, saving alot of wrenching. Relatively simple process. Just start unbolting everything that is not going to be on the solid axle. This is a rough checklist of how I did mine.

-Remove wheels
-Remove Calipers, ziptie up out of the way
-Relieve tension on torsion bars (loosen keys as much as possible, place jack under LCA to hold the weight and relieve the tension)
-Unbolt upper and lower control arms from lift brackets
-Remove (6) bolts on the CV shaft attaching to the diff
-Separate tie rod from knuckle/linkage
-Drop hub assembly with UCA and LCA, knocking loose the torsion bar and key.
-Remove (4) bolts holding the UCA drop bracket, and removing bushing sleeves from frame holes (I am reusing the front hole bushing for my shock hoops).
-Repeat on other side.
-Using a jack to support the diff, remove the bolts holding it into the cradle, and remove breather and diff actuator (will be ziptied up into the frame rail to keep lights from flashing)
-Drop diff, throw it in the trash. Its worthless lol
-Remove (6) bolts holding front cradle to frame

Then came the steering linkage for the lift. Bent 3 forks trying to disconnect the pitman/idler from the linkage, so unbolted the whole idler bracket, and sawzalled the pitman in half.

Next step was changing the pitman. Everything says you need to disconnect lines and completely remove the box but I didn't wanna have to rebleed the system. Problem solved.

It takes a 34mm socket (for mine) hit with an impact and it comes right off. Then using a pitman arm puller, swapped over the crap one I had for the lift 1104 pitman arm.

The box is held on with 3 long bolts through the frame. These are also sleeved.

Then started on the rear hangers for the springs. Turns out with the stock Z71 cats in their place, I have to move/relocate them.

Then using clamps/vices, place the bracket where needed. Mark, center punch, and drill out the holes.

You do not need to use every hole in the bracket. Its mean to be able to work on many trucks.

Then I swapped over the front two tires onto the new rims. They look AWESOME.

Then we got the plasma over and working. Time to hit the point of no return.

After grinding on this for a LONG time, I changed to a more aggressive disc to take off the IFS brackets.

Then mounted up the shock hoops. They bolt on either side into the existing frame holes, using the sleeves to keep from crushing the frame.

Drag link is going to be way too long. Either needing to cut and retap the leftovers, or cut out the threaded piece, section what is needed off something else, and the swap back later.

On that note, I called it a day. The bushings are too thick in the leafs to work for my usage. Tried cutting them down and it looked horrible. Also go my hands on some new front shocks, to run one large single instead of duals.