Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
We had an adventure today...

Went to go pick up my motorcycle from where its been sitting for 2 months outside covered in snow and ice. Picked up a trailer and headed out about 50 miles to where its parked. Dug out the bike and saw the clock on the speedo was still on! I thought for sure the battery would be dead.

You must be registered for see images attach

After an HOUR, I finally got the bike to the end of the driveway. AN HOUR. Pushing, shoveling, falling.. Just a fun time.

THEN, I go to pull into the little access road next to the driveway (the flattest spot around, or so it used to be.) The trailer pushed the a55 end and it sunk right off the side, I tried to correct but the weight of the trailer, and the fact my 4wd isn't the best right now just swung me right off the edge. My right rear tire dug in and I was done. I came withing ~8-9" of a utility box. If that wasnt there I could have wiggled it down and drove along side the access road.

Called my buddy with his Cummins and we unhooked the trailer and drug it back out of the road, and back into the driveway. Simple enough, right? Wrong. The tow rope and everything was frozen solid, and completely tangled. Took another 30 mins to break that loose and get it around the trailer.

He then hooked to me and tried to pull my rear axle back onto the road and the whole truck away from the box but got caught on a downed log under the snow and decided I had to go forward. Instead of burying myself even more and since we were losing daylight (only had ~5hrs total today.) We just decided to hook up front and pull me out.

Then on the way back home I decided to stop and blow off some steam... SNOWNUTS SON!

But, the bike got to its new covered home, truck and trailer are now safely parked in the lot.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Looks like I might be going 8 lug after all! Just got my hands on two, I say again, TWO 14 bolt rear axles, and some other parts for dirt cheap. Going to order some 15x10 or 12" rims tonight since I found some dirt cheap as well. Going to go with a simple black powdercoated steelie wheel for now and keeping my KM2s. Set of 5 shipped to my door for just over 300$. Conversion joint is relatively cheap to connect my shaft, shocks mount the same. Relatively simple swap. Only thing I gotta do up front is put the 8 lug stuff back on the 44.

I know its taking forever Guys, but I am finally past all the holidays and breaks so I can finally just put time towards the truck.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
conversion joint is actually weaker than a standard joint. if you wanted to do it right go have your driveshaft lengthened and have the rear yoke changed out. most likely youll be a hair taller than you are now which means your driveshaft will likely whip more.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
On the front HP44 I will need to grind a little bit, but with those wheels not very much.

And I am going to be getting shafts made, but for starters I am just swapping the UJoint because I need to get my truck in the air and back down on wheels as soon as I can since it's still my DD

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
On the front HP44 I will need to grind a little bit, but with those wheels not very much.

And I am going to be getting shafts made, but for starters I am just swapping the UJoint because I need to get my truck in the air and back down on wheels as soon as I can since it's still my DD

understandable, just saying most converion joints are greasable and much weaker than a life series joint, i wouldnt want you to go trail riding and snap on and blow your whole shaft out, not would it be good to wipe out your tcase bearing or bushing if your slip yokes pulled out too far.