sending unit swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJWTX

Reaction score
I did search but i can not find a clear answer. Im swapping a carb on my truck and i am tossing up a fuel regulator or mechnical. The question I have is will a non-pump sending unit fit in my tank? like one out of an older carbed truck.

Thank you

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if it will or not. Ive heard of people just pulling the pump out and running a securing a piece of hose to where the sock on the bottom of the pump would be. I wouldn't go this route but it is a option.

RJWTX

Reaction score
I
I don't know if it will or not. Ive heard of people just pulling the pump out and running a securing a piece of hose to where the sock on the bottom of the pump would be. I wouldn't go this route but it is a option.
Yeah i would prefer either a completly metal unit or just keep the stock type pump. although going to an external pump would make it easier to change out if it went bad. I also plan on upgrading to the Holley sniper system.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use an external electric fuel pump, keep in mind that you need to mount it at least as low as the bottom of the gas tank. They push fuel far better than they pull it, and the higher you mount it, the harder it has to pull the column of fuel. With it mounted low the siphon action uses gravity to pull the fuel from the tank.

RJWTX

Reaction score
If you use an external electric fuel pump, keep in mind that you need to mount it at least as low as the bottom of the gas tank. They push fuel far better than they pull it, and the higher you mount it, the harder it has to pull the column of fuel. With it mounted low the siphon action uses gravity to pull the fuel from the tank.
So a bottom sump like I had on my 6.0 Powerstroke with an inline electric pump would be better from what I'm seeing. That way I can upgrade the fuel system to feed the regulator and carb then just adjust it to run the Holley sniper. Cap off the supply line, transfer pump wires to outside pump, run return like normal? That does seem like the way to go for ease of maintenance and it is setup to augment future mods.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You haven't stated what year truck you have, nor whether it's TBI or Vortec. I'll assume you have a TBI. I'd go with a Vortec fuel pump (EP381) in the stock TBI sending unit and a fuel pressure regulator with a return line. It fits like factory and doesn't require any rewiring. The replumbing is minimal. You can adjust the fuel pressure down to the carburetor's needs, and when you put the Sniper on you can ditch the FPR and just run the factory Vortec fuel pressure to your Sniper. I'm running the Vortec fuel pump with a Sniper on my formerly TBI truck.
www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1997,c1500+pickup,5.7l+v8,1031555,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256
www.summitracing.com/search/department/air-fuel-delivery/section/fuel-pumps-regulators/part-type/fuel-pressure-regulators/universal/yes/regulator-style/return?PageSize=25&SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending