Saving a 98 Suburban from the scrapper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive posted in here a little bit but thought I would share my Suburban with you. Not really going to build it per say but doing some slight upgrades and modifications to it. Back Story is I started off with a GMT400 with my 2000 K2500 that I built when I was in High School and well through my college years. Unfortunately I had to sell it finally because it wouldn't fit in my garage and was just rusting away in my driveway. I did find it a very good home with a guy who was going to fix the body and keep it garaged for the rest of its life. I will forever be a GMT400 fan because of that truck. The guy I "sold" it to actually more traded me his truck for mine plus some cash. He had a 2005 1500 that was not lifted so it would fit in my garage. I like the truck but it wasn't my GMT400. Now having a 2nd kid on the way and an 80lb dog to take on trips it was time to consider getting a bigger vehicle.
My wife loves the GMT400 style Suburbans so to the internet search I went!
You must be registered for see images attach

Found this one, guy said he put a lot of recent work in to it including front end components, new gas tank and fuel pump and motor was rebuilt with 9k miles on it. I waited it out trying to find a cleaner low miles one but these are obviously not easy to find. I finally went to see this Suburban and after meeting the guy and test driving I felt confident that he wasn't lying about the work. I tried talking down the price a bit but he wouldn't budge because all the work done to it. He said if it didn't sell he was going to pull the motor to use in another car and scrap the body. I didn't want to see this beauty go to a scrapper so I bit on it.

So far I am happy with it but it does still need some work. It only has 148k on it and the trans feels good. Rust is minimal and it starts right up every time. It needed some tires to start with so I got the old worn Kelly tires off and put on some new BFG tires. The ride is amazingly different already with the better tire on it. I also took off the broken wind deflector and programmed a remote for the locks. I did the standard OC and replaced a hose on the radiator that was leaking. While I was at it I lubed up the hood latch which would open with out some help and cleaned the interior really good.

Things it still needs, well when the tank is full it leaks gas out the top until about 1/2 tank then it stops. It needs new upper BJ but not very soon they only have a tiny bit of play in them. The A/C line by the rear tire has a leak in it that I can hear so no A/C until that's fixed and the dealer that did the tires said I needed new pinion seal and transfer case output seal but I have to look more into it because the dealer was very dismissive and just said it a lot of oil leaking but when I look I don't see that. I think they just saw an older vehicle and didn't want to deal with it.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't have the time or energy to figure out why the gas leaks out the top of the tank so its in the shop now waiting a diagnosis. I was nice enough to drive it down to about 1/4 tank before bringing it in so they would have to drop it with 42 gallons in it. Anxious to hear what it could be leaking from.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought the gold and black was a nice looking combo. Yesterday I got a nice package in the mail, going to be hopefully doing these when I get the Burban back from the shop. While I am in there I am going to look at the upper Ball joints too and I may knock those out as well since they have a tiny bit of play in them.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update, the shop called and said they don't know for sure yet why the tank leaks they are going to try and replace the roll over vent valves and see if that solves it. Other news they said my slight vibration the the U joint so they are replacing that and while its there I am going to bite the bullet and have them do the ball joints and pitman and idler arms which are all original and have some play. Then they will give it a nice alignment and I can drive it around with a lot less money in my pocket lol. Wish I had the time to do it all I could save myself 800.00 of labor but at least I can drive confident now on longer trips!

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shop replaced the vent valves and smoke tested it, said no smoke came out so they are pretty confident that it fixed the fuel leak. Bad news I asked about the front end and the guy said ya I left you a quote on the invoice. I told him that I dropped off the parts Friday for it, long story short I am waiting to hear back but it looks like they may have had a miss communication and not got the front end done. Either that or I was about to get a lot of free labor time on my truck. Guess I will wait and see.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got the Burb back. Whole new front end and alignment. Drives really nice now. This weekend I figured I would tackle the brakes. Ordered new pads and was hoping to save the rotors but after removing he first one the giant groove in the back told me I wasn't going to be doing that.

Went and bought some new rotors for her, got he driver side done.

Tore apart passenger side and the slide pins and bolts were all seized in. Got frustrated trying to work them out and took a break. When I priced a new caliper it was a no brainier for 25.00.

Now she is all done and all in all it was less then 100.00 for the whole thing.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Order a quart of smurf oil from Amazon for the transfer case since I know the output shaft seal is leaking a bit. Got it filled up so I don't ruin the T/c before I can replace the seal and was pleasantly surprised it only took maybe 1/4 quart to top it off. I was hoping it wasn't too empty since I didn't know how long it had been leaking before I bought it. Drives good now overall, the steering wheel is still off a little bit and I am debating taking it back to the shop that did the alignment and having them fix it. Other thing is that it has a weird groan or hum that is super intermittent and might be me being over critical. it only happens sometimes when keeping speed at 35-50 mph and doesn't do it when coasting and not pressing the gas. It seems like its from the rear somewhere, has a new U joint so its not that. I might be just making something out of nothing too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers