Save me $100? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draggingframe

Reaction score
Need to replace the pickup coil on the distributor, and in order to get the old one off I have to remove the cam gear.

This is where I'm having an issue, I cannot for the life of me make this little pin budge. Any tips?

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to use a small punch and a ball peen hammer.....it had alot of engine varnish on it so i used brake cleaner and even heated it up with a little butane torch to get the gear off

draggingframe

Reaction score
Finally got it, and this is what it looks like now.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Worth cleaning up with a new pickup coil, or just buy a new distributor?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can buy a whole new distributed for about the same as just the pick-up alone costs. It's cheaper in the long run. Think of the extra time you know have into taking out the old distributor and taking it apart. Instead you can just remove old distributor and put in the new one. Plus depending on miles how are you bushings and how worn is the gear? And that last pick to me isn't worth the time to clean up. Just replace it with a new reman or a performance distributor and be done with it. That's what I would do anyways.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah i totally agree.....i wouldnt install that in my truck and feel comfortable about it....for the price-it would be best just to junk that one and get a new one.

draggingframe

Reaction score
That's what I figured, and why I asked. I hit it with a wire brush, and it cleans up okay, but it just looks iffy haha. Thanks guys.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i remember right.....the new distributors even come with a new icm.....so its not a bad deal.i think napa had them for around $100 bucks