Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been collecting parts, trucks, and tools for some time now and can finally my SAS is in progress.

I sourced a 3/4 ton frame in excellent shape and with my luck the kid didn't want to pull the 350, harness, ECU, 4l80e, or tcase. A few weeks later my friend's father pulled the motor out of his k1500 for his jeep project and was about to junk the rest of the truck. I stepped in and got it along with the title for free(!!)

My goal will be a registered '97 k1500 sitting on top of a '97 k2500 frame running 8 lug Dana 60 balljoint front end and 14 Bolt rear end. Time will tell if the motor is in good shape after I tear it down, if not then I will be open to swaps or what ever deal can comes my way.

Feedback is always welcome. I'm learning as I go and honestly I think the only thing I have going for me is my patience. I'm not very skilled in body work or being a mechanic but I'm not afraid to read!

The goods
Cab: '97 K1500 Extended Cab
Chassis: '97 K2500 Extended Cab Long Bed
Motor: sbc 350, Supposedly 140k miles and in running condition
Front Axle: Ford '97.5-98 Dana 60HD: BOM# 610741-5, 4.10 Gears
Rear Axle: SF 14 Bolt, 4.10 Gears
Front Brackets: Offroad Designs 36.5" Width SAS Kit for 47" Springs
Rear Brackets: Offroad Designs Shackle Flip
Steering: ???
Front Leafs: ??

Cab is currently in the yard, I have the full front clip as well for it in the barn already. I've been picking pieces off of it over the past few weeks labeling and organizing everything as I go
You must be registered for see images attach

The fame the day I picked it up. It is in excellent shape for being in New England it's entire life. It is missing a few crossmembers in the rear that the kid had snagged for his other projects. I was thinking of putting in the 42 Gal suburban tank since why the hell not?

Frame making it's way home

Axle making it's way back to the barn. According to the BOM numbers it is a '97.5-'98 Ford 'Dana 60HD'. It is a balljoint dana 60 that I choose to go with because during the 96+ model year they had better front caliper options. I need to get the passenger side knuckle shipped out to be machined for crossover steering. Any recommendations for steering?

Last edited:

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking for all kinds of feedback. Good, bad, terrible, awful, throw it all on me.

I'm working on
  • Getting the cab off the truck and moved into my shop area so that I can do the rockers and cab corners
  • Pulling the Dana 60 apart and rebuilding it
  • Pulling the motor/trans/tcase
  • Cutting out IFS
  • Media blasting the frame and prep for POR15

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Personally, I'm jealous of you being able to do this. I wish I had the room, time, and money to strip my 96 K2500 down to bare frame and restore it back to brand new.

How much lift are you planning to run? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more on this project!

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally, I'm jealous of you being able to do this. I wish I had the room, time, and money to strip my 96 K2500 down to bare frame and restore it back to brand new.

How much lift are you planning to run? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more on this project!
Man oh man if this truck in five years time looks half as good yours does now I'll be impressed with myself!

Since I'm starting with a frame I most probably will have the thing rolling before the fenders are in place so it'll end up being a surprise. The ORD SAS kit that I ordered today, GU47036-47", states that it is a 3" lift in and of it's self. I will be getting springs from a local shop when the time comes with the intention to ask for +2" in the leafs. After that I'll resort to various zero rate add-a-leafs to help me push the axle back and forth and to set my desired hight. At the minimum I expect 6" inches but would not be surprised if this thing ends up on 37" tires and 8"s of lift

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent the morning pulling off the easy stuff from the Dana 60. Calipers, sway bar, pan hard, drag link etc..

I'm working my way to the balljoints this week when I find the time

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ford changed from a 8X6.5" to 8X170MM in '99. Otherwise known as the Super Duty series. Those super duty dana axles also have a larger leaf spring perch width that making a SAS a little more involved on our OBS GM trucks. I had to prove that case today and bolted my chevy 8 lug wheels onto the axle to move it into the barn to be worked on.

There are a few resources out on the web that make some pretty looking lists, I have had Crawl Pedia's list bookmarked for my reference: http://www.crawlpedia.com/bolt_patterns.htm

vlkski

Reaction score
I'll be watching this too. I've been working on my 1990 K2500 for several years now. My next step is the SAS. I'm looking for a Dana 60 now. Once I get the axle I'll start working. I will probably have some questions for you when I get going on mine. Thanks for all of the pics!