rtv around coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turbopbw

Reaction score
I'm working on intake manifold replacement on a 1996 5.7 vortec motor. The intake manifold has light aluminum pitting and the heads have very little if any. I've read that some people apply rtv or silicon around coolant ports, what is everyones real word experience on this?

I'm going to use the Fel-pro MS98000T PermaDryPlus.

Thanks for any help you can provide! Below is a photo of the pitting, you can see a ring about the coolant port (i still have some cleaning left also).
Paul

You must be registered for see images attach

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used a little RTV with good success, just make sure its not very much, and that it has ample time to dry before refilling the coolant and driving and such. those MS9800T's are excellent gaskets, much better than the GM ones

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
last set of fel-pro's I used had a silicone ring around the ports, I think they were the permadry not sure, they were blue and white I think. Once you torque the intake down the silicone sticks around the ports, I know because we built a 350 for an 86 we had, broke a t-stat bolt, fixed it, tried to take out a heater hose fitting, cracked the intake, had to take it off and change intakes. When we did this, no run time, no heat at all, never started, you could see the silicone around the ports. I had to clean it off to put on the new gasket.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last set of fel-pro's I used had a silicone ring around the ports, I think they were the permadry not sure, they were blue and white I think. Once you torque the intake down the silicone sticks around the ports, I know because we built a 350 for an 86 we had, broke a t-stat bolt, fixed it, tried to take out a heater hose fitting, cracked the intake, had to take it off and change intakes. When we did this, no run time, no heat at all, never started, you could see the silicone around the ports. I had to clean it off to put on the new gasket.

his MS98000T's aren't the blue ones, they're solid aluminum core with a little rubber seal around it.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score

all of the vortec gaskets have some sort of silicone on them, and are reusable.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ohhh ok, those are like the ultraseals mr. gasket has, alum. like. I don't know if I have ever used the alum. type or not.

As for the vortec's having silicone, but more importantly they are reusable??????

That's awesome, good info to know.

I always forget that newer models things change, all I have done and worked on, familar with is old school stuff.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
ohhh ok, those are like the ultraseals mr. gasket has, alum. like. I don't know if I have ever used the alum. type or not.

As for the vortec's having silicone, but more importantly they are reusable??????

That's awesome, good info to know.

I always forget that newer models things change, all I have done and worked on, familar with is old school stuff.

Yup, i reused mine, Fel-pro makes plastic ones with orange silicone around the ports, and metal ones covered in silicone.