Reverse lights only turn on in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeen

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Sierra 1500. When I shift from P to R my reverse lights flash then turn off. In order for them to stay on I have to push the shift lever to park and they turn on. I was gonna adjust them and was told 4L60E trans have the Neutral safety/reverse light switch on the trans gear selector shaft but mine doesn't. I guess it still has the old "horse shoe" on the column but are these adjustable or should it just be replaced?

400North

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Sierra 1500. When I shift from P to R my reverse lights flash then turn off. In order for them to stay on I have to push the shift lever to park and they turn on. I was gonna adjust them and was told 4L60E trans have the Neutral safety/reverse light switch on the trans gear selector shaft but mine doesn't. I guess it still has the old "horse shoe" on the column but are these adjustable or should it just be replaced?
Hey I had a similar problem with a 1994 GMC Yukon. The reverse lights would go on for half a second when changing from park to reverse, but would stay on the whole time while changing from neutral or drive to reverse. I was able to fix the issue by adjusting the neutral safety switch.

It is a plastic part kind of in the shape of one quarter of a circle and is located underneath the steering column and is attached to it about half way down. You can adjust it by hand. You will be able to move it one way and/or the other and it will make a "clicking" noise each time you move it over left or right. If one way doesn't work try adjusting/pushing it the other way. Also, try to keep track of the starting position/how many clicks you move it over in case you move it in the wrong direction first and have to move it the other way (so that you can move it back to its starting position and start from there moving it in the opposite direction).

Have another person watch the taillights for you as you have the parking brake turned on, try changing into reverse and adjusting the neutral safety switch one way or the other until it works properly.

Hope this helps!

Edit:

^This post goes more in depth/has some good pictures.

Last edited:

Ibinyth

Reaction score

Any chance you managed to get it fixed? I’m having the same problem on my 1993, reverse lights only come on between park and reverse.

Ibinyth

Reaction score
Hey I had a similar problem with a 1994 GMC Yukon. The reverse lights would go on for half a second when changing from park to reverse, but would stay on the whole time while changing from neutral or drive to reverse. I was able to fix the issue by adjusting the neutral safety switch.

It is a plastic part kind of in the shape of one quarter of a circle and is located underneath the steering column and is attached to it about half way down. You can adjust it by hand. You will be able to move it one way and/or the other and it will make a "clicking" noise each time you move it over left or right. If one way doesn't work try adjusting/pushing it the other way. Also, try to keep track of the starting position/how many clicks you move it over in case you move it in the wrong direction first and have to move it the other way (so that you can move it back to its starting position and start from there moving it in the opposite direction).

Have another person watch the taillights for you as you have the parking brake turned on, try changing into reverse and adjusting the neutral safety switch one way or the other until it works properly.

Hope this helps!

Edit:

^This post goes more in depth/has some good pictures.
Do you have a photo of the piece you mention adjusting? Or a diagram by chance? I’m having the same issue on my 93