Reprogrammed Computer For '97 3500. When To Install?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I have the new computer from Black Bear for the 1997 Chevy 3500 4X4 Dually W/7.6L Vortec. Actually its been sitting in the box for a while!

When is the best time to install it? After replacing O2 sensors and maybe new plugs, wires etc.? I don't know if it needs the tune-up yet as it runs good and previous owner may have done it.

Just wondering if I should wait or does it matter.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as you have no check engine light on or stored codes, it shouldn't matter. If the truck has any issues with how it runs it's generally recommended to fix those before changing the tune.

Remember to disconnect your battery before swapping the PCMs out to prevent any accidental damage.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as you have no check engine light on or stored codes, it shouldn't matter. If the truck has any issues with how it runs it's generally recommended to fix those before changing the tune.

Remember to disconnect your battery before swapping the PCMs out to prevent any accidental damage.
Thanks. I'll hook my scanner up and see if any codes but I think we're good.
I figured any changes such as new O2 sensors would just be picked up no different than with the stock computer.