removing the front slip yoke driveshaft.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How exactly does the front driveshaft come out of the trucks with the 241 transfer case?? Mine has the slip yoke on it and I cannot for the life of me get either end to separate from either end of the U joint. Does the collar on the slip yoke need to be unscrewed or something? its almost as if there is pressure or some sort of suction inside the slip yoke. I tried spinning the collar but it wont budge at all!!

You must be registered for see images attach

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take the 4 bolts out of the yoke at each end. The shaft should compress and pull out. It may take some effort since ifs trucks dont see much slip yoke travel.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I already did all that. I even wedged a small metal bar in the U joint area and tried to pry it out without damaging it. The caps move from the yoke but the shaft just wont compress at all. The driveshaft compresses about 1/8" of an inch when I pry on it but it just returns back to it normal length. Its weird.
Im actually trying to do this on a tahoe at the junkyard. I want to rebuild it with the newer nickel plated yoke and new U joints and then just swap it into my truck so that my truck isnt down at all.

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try pumping some grease into the zerk on the shaft, that should help some. Its probably just froze up, enough blows with a hammer should free it up.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ill have to try it tomorrow, I honestly thought removing this would take 10 minutes. I worked at it for almost 45 minutes. Ill have to bring different tools with me tomorrow.

For the record, the gray collar doesnt need to be loosened at all to release the seal or O ring or whatever is in the slip yoke to keep the grease in?

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldnt need to mess with the collar to get it out. The one on mine is metal and rusted in place. Just needs some grease pumped in and some penetrating oil and alot of beating :shooter: