removing egr?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can i remove the egr without any bad effects on the motor? it hardly would run or anything with it hooked and and we unhooked it and it runs like new and holds a steady idle and doesnt cut out through the rpm range when driving. and could i have screwed something up big time by accident when i started the truck and had the diagnostics key in it? it ran for no longer than 10 seconds before i noticed the cel light was blinking like crazy and i shut it off immediately.

its a 95 k1500

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's not vortec right? I think that started in 96 but my 88 I removed mine. You'll get or you are supposed to get a CEL light from it being removed without having it removed from the computer chip.

I have no problems with mine, yours was stuck open from the sound of it.

You do have to put a block off plate on it though.

You may also not pass emissions or visual inspection if you have either.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of my dads friends looked at it and he also said it looked liked it was stuck open, and i think im going to buy the egr block off plate next weekend. and its not a vortec, 5.7 tbi

and im not sure if this is correct info or not but i looked on a few sites and said alabama doesnt require emission testing but does require safety inspection only prior to sale or transfer of ownership

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
make sure you get the right egr plate. The older carb style ones work, but you have to enlarge the holes and make it fit your intake, etc. the ones they have for lt1's and such on ebay will fit just look at the bottom of your egr valve and find a plate that looks like it.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was planning on getting this one when we go to oreillys for some oil changes in mine and my dads silverado next weekend. do i also have to plug off any vacuum hoses?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's the old carb style one, it won't just bolt on you have to open the holes up in the plate and it barely does cover the intake holes but it works. I'm using one myself just like it.

Yes the vac. solenoid for the egr needs to be plugged off at it's source. if there is none then th eline that goes to the egr gets plugged off.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think i know what you mean, theres a hose coming from the solenoid to the tbi and on the other side going to the egr and a vent, and i plug the one going to the tbi? like J on this picture? (its not the same diagram as mine but its similar)

You must be registered for see images attach