Rebuilt engine problems!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gimmel1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i pulled it apart today and no bad rings no bad piston and the cylender wasnt scored. i did however find one rocker stud pulled out and the second cylender on both heads was oily carbon covered the rest were just carbon covered. also kinda have a "i screwed up confession", i found out that you cant use roller tappets with a flat tappet cam. the thing was no one could give me a reason why you cant, but now i know why not. the valves wont stay open long enough, and it just carbons up the cylendar and plug, i just call it a Dumb A$$ moment.!! So i sent the head to be checked but im just confuzzeled!!!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey man don't feel bad **** happens to all of us, I am just glad to hear that the whole engine is screwed up!

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need screw-in studs if you're using valve springs with much more pressure than stock.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I have heard of many a vortec head pullin the stock stud's, like mentioned they either need to be pinned or I would just do screw in's.

gimmel1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i had stock springs but i am goin with screw in studs and havin the heads gone through so we will see.

gimmel1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i got the motor back in but ran into a problem the oil pressure sender plug got squished and cut between the engine and tranny. so my question is does any one have or can you take a pic of the oil pressure sender plug and where the wires go. the plug i got has all black wires.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, at least you can tell what happens when you use roller lifters on a flat cam.

As far as the oil sender goes I did the same thing when installing mine. The sad part on my end is that I have a 3" body lift, so I have no excuse for breaking the damn thing off! It is an easy fix though. I can post a pic later but I have a Vortec which might have a different setup. I can't remember if my TBI was the same.