Rear wheel cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How hard is the replacement of a rear wheel cylinder? I think mine is bad cause looking under the hood the other day i had low brake fluid and i also noticed my passenger side rear tire was stained on the inside as was the back of the drum.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I cant really remember, the springs in there are the real pain in the ass, but you can always jack that tire up and pull the drum off to make sure.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
its not too bad actually, if i remember correctly, if you push the parking brake on, it spreads the pads off the wheel cylinder so you dont have to pull it all apart.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its not too bad actually, if i remember correctly, if you push the parking brake on, it spreads the pads off the wheel cylinder so you dont have to pull it all apart.

If you do this, just don't do it untill you have the drum off. Otherwise take a video of you beating on it and cussing.

Took me an hour to do both sides, and I took the brakes completely apart because I have no e-brake. Do yourself a favor and go buy a drum brake tool from the parts store for $15 it saves a lot of cussing.

Only do one side at a time. They're identical so you can look at the other side when you forget where that spring went.

Remember to back the auto-adjusters off before you try and pull the drums off. I've seen people cuss at them a lot before I suggested they try this. It is quite comical to watch untill they want to burn the truck to the ground, then it gets ugly.

There are two bolts on the inboard side of the axle that hold the cylinders on, along with the brake line.

Whel is actually wheel.

All I can think to add right now, any other questions let us know.

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sweet, thanks. i had to assemble the brakes on this axle when i got it cause the guy that rebuiltit for me didnt do them.. if i can ill post pics of the process as much as i can.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also make sure to get a good quality replacement (AC Delco) so you don't have to do this again in a few months

supjim12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be prepared to replace a rusty brake line and if you are leaking fluid replace the shoes and make sure you can crack the bleeder on the non leaking side as well. Also get a hardware kit as well.