Rear Dana swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke Kimball

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped a rear Dana 60 with disk breaks from a Ford? I've got a 1999 GMC k2500 crew cab was thinking about doing the swap soon an wanted to see if anyone had any advice or information haven't been able to find much of anything might just have to figure it out as I go

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I didn't know Ford was using Dana axles in the rear. I'd probably go for a GMT-800 14bolt instead, but the 60 might be good too. It might be a good middle ground between weight and beef.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't know Ford was using Dana axles in the rear.
They did up to 1985ish maybe eariler in the 3/4 and 1 tons. I know the 79s had a 60 rear. I think the dually's had a dana 70 They changed to the sterling 10.5 after using the dana 60. I don't know what they use in the 03 and newer. I believe it is AAM but im not 100% sure

To op if you have the ff 14 bolt I would keep that instead of swapping. Any thing is possible as long as you can fabricate. I don't know the specs on the dana 60 and they might vary from model to model that it might have come from.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
They did up to 1985ish maybe eariler in the 3/4 and 1 tons. I know the 79s had a 60 rear. I think the dually's had a dana 70 They changed to the sterling 10.5 after using the dana 60. I don't know what they use in the 03 and newer. I believe it is AAM but im not 100% sure

He's not talking that old if he's looking at axles with disc brakes. AAM builds axles for GM and Dodge, but I don't think they do for Ford.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ford used the 60 rear in vans into the 2000s. they still have the 8x6.5 bolt pattern and not the retarded 8x170 or whatever it is. It's a good upgrade for discs, but if OP has the full floater it would be considered a downgrade.

Luke Kimball

Reaction score
In all honesty I'm wanting to find a way to do the cheapest disk break conversation I can I haven't messed with danas to much but Ive heard a lot of good reviews on them I do have the full float in my truck so if it's a down grade then I'll stick with what I have lol any one have any advice on disk break conversation for it? I plan on doing a. Lot of towing an want the extra stoping power

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for the "cheapest" option on something as important as brakes is not usually the best way to go.
You already have a good 14bolt FF, why would you want to go to a Ford axle?
It basically comes down to two options;
Either get a good conversion kit from a reputable source,, or get a GM axle with discs and re-weld the shock and spring mounts in the proper position to match what you have.
Give these people a call, see what they can do for you, they have been doing it for over 35 years;
http://www.tsmmfg.com/

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, it's not a Ford axle, it's a Dana. Its spec'd for Ford. So your saying you wouln't put a high pinion Dana 60 from a 78/79 ford cause it's from a Ford??

But the best route would be a newer 14f from a 99-up. They have E-brake, and tho the kits for discs are good, the E-brake is not. Caddy calipers were the hot thing, but they are getting scarce, and they constantly needed adjustment.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, it's not a Ford axle, it's a Dana. Its spec'd for Ford. So your saying you wouln't put a high pinion Dana 60 from a 78/79 ford cause it's from a Ford??

But the best route would be a newer 14f from a 99-up. They have E-brake, and tho the kits for discs are good, the E-brake is not. Caddy calipers were the hot thing, but they are getting scarce, and they constantly needed adjustment.

Yeah,, those high-pinion Danas work great for solid-axle front end conversions.
And,, if you read inti the TSM website, you'll see that the large caliper with parking brake is easily available from them,, there is no shortage, they are still being made,, and if they are installed and hooked-up correctly the parking brake(s) work great,, I know, I've used them.
There are YouTube vids that explain the parking brake set-up,, it's like most things, if you don't do it right you can't complain about results.
Yes, BEST results are from a late model GM axle.

KennedyEngine

Reaction score
I have a 1999 k1500 suburban that I swapped a 1150 aam rear axle with disc brakes out of a 2004 duramax 2500 into.

I had to cut off and relocate the leaf spring perches. The shock mounts lined up fine with the suburban shocks.

To make sure the disc brakes had proper pressure I adapted a gmt800 hydraulic brake booster to fit in the suburban.

It’s a good amount of work and you have to keep pinion angles in mind when re welding on leaf spring perches.