Rear axle seals keep leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear axle seals on my Tahoe keep leaking, both have been done twice within the past 2 years, drive 10-12k miles a year only driven on pavement no offroad its just my DD, had the rear axle vent hose and the PVC like end piece replaced too thinking maybe that was causing this, is there anything else to look for? It goes down the road fine no issues or sounds the rear end was rebuilt around 3 years ago, thanks for the help.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you using ac delco/oem pieces? If so how are you installing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
There could be wear on the axle shafts, where the seals ride. I have always tried to use OE seals, usually a triple lip design.

Usually the culprit is a plugged vent hose, but I have also seen the metal pipe the hose slides over on the axle rust shut in the rust belt areas. If you are certain that it's breathing properly, then I would check the axle shafts / wheel bearing.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was my next suggestion. Whenever you do them make sure there the axles are clean and free of debris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worn axle shafts or wheel bearings could cause said issue... Did they replace the axle shafts when it was rebuilt?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If there's wear where the seals ride then it may be time for "axle saver" bearings.

Richard

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update, got a better look at it, looks like its leaking under the saddle that holds the leaf to the rear end, gonna get it looked at tommrow and see what they say, im guessing its gonna need another rear end, cause welding may or may not work from what ive read

You must be registered for see images

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: need a new rear end or get a clean housing and swap the internals over, looks like when I had the new leafs put on when the u-bolts got tightened it caused a crack in the housing must have been rusted from over the years when I cleaned up and painted it, it was pretty rusty seemed solid guess not, rest of the truck is good so gonna look into getting a reman rear end, any good places to get one from? Theres a few places out there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf