Random (ish) Hard Start Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
My 1999 K2500 454 Beautiful Burb has had this issue since I bought her about a month ago.

She pretty much always starts fine when cold (there's a bit of a 'hiccup' but that may just be normal for these trucks...?)

Most often, but not always, when she's already been warmed up and I go to start her up she'll crank normally for 3+ seconds before catching. If I give her some gas she'll usually catch right away (does this make any sense for a non-carb engine?), but my mechanic has advised me not to do this though, and his explanation was a bit over my head so I can't recall it (something about the computer).

Once she starts, she idles and rides nice and smooth.

After doing some Googling, I came to the conclusion that I needed a new Fuel Pressure Regulator. I bought the piece, but then realized I need to remove the upper plenum to replace this part; A bit much for my shade tree skills and confidence, and so I've yet to take this on.

I've replaced to the fuel filter, to no avail (didn't really think that would help anyway).

My battery is weak and needs to be replaced, but I doubt this is causing the issue.

Sound like a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator to you boys? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Alex

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My thread that has tons of good info

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25678

Sounds like the fpr for sure but IMHO, I would just do the injectors too because they are probably leaking if they are original or will leak eventually. I went through a huge ordeal with mine and replaced more parts than I needed to which was OK because now I know it is new.

"Someotherguy" on here did an awesome writeup on how to replace injectors and fpr with pictures.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/257907

I felt very intimidated trying it myself but when I bought this truck I did it with the idea that I would push my skills and do everything I had the tools for. With my repeated injector issues I had to pull my plenum off probably 7 or 8 times in 2 months. I got so used to it that I could replace my injectors from start to finish in under an hour.

I'm going to post a link to my thread so you can learn from someone who tried the cheaper route and paid big time in time and money.

Summarizing it. I imagine that you need a new fpr and injectors which leaves you 2 solid reliable options.

If you want to keep your tuning stock order new Bosch style replacement injectors that look like they are the same diameter all the way down from fiveo motorsports and a new borg warner fpr. You might be able to run the 19lb blue Knights but I couldn't feel comfortable suggesting that because I didn't try it

If you want to do a custom retune or use something like a superchips tune then order the 19lb blue Knights from fiveo and just email them to make sure you have picked the right ones. You can use a 454 borg warner fpr which runs at 3 bar of pressure or if you are interested in more then you can go with a 350 fpr because that will run at 4 bar which ends up being something like 12 psi or something higher.

Please please do not buy factory replacement injectors or you will find them leaking and causing hard start issues again. Also do not buy LS1 injectors from eBay or anything. It is worth paying double for good new ones from fiveo, take my word.

My truck did the same exact thing and I would be happy to offer my thoughts and tips on doing this so PM me if you want my number.

Bryce

Last edited:

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Wow Bryce, thanks for the thorough reply with links! I've read in other places how a custom tune could really help my engine in terms of power and mileage, so that is something I'm interested in too, although I know very little about it.

I'm going to go check out your links now and see if this is something I really want to tackle myself (both in terms if my skill set and time available...).

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Just follow someotherguy's write up and you'll be golden. It might seem intimidating but it's not that bad, I did mine in an afternoon with no major problems. Just take your time. It's just a lot of digging to get to the darn parts, nothing overly complicated. You will need an small profile crescent wrench to get the EGR tube off, and snap ring pliers to remove the FPR, but that's about the only "special" tools you'll need.

I would say to definetly replace the FPR with the 4 bar instead of the 3. I went with the 3 and now I wish I hadn't.

Any other questions just post 'em up. Most of us on here with the Vortec 454's have replaced the injectors (many of us several times), we'll be happy to help however we can.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, volunteer. You guys rock.

I'm really not sure when I'm going to get around to doing this, as the hard start is intermittent, and not all that hard (at this point - will it get worse?). But I know we're all be getting my info from when I do decide to tackle this.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my truck in march and at first it just seemed to take a little longer than I thought it should take. It gradually got worse and by the time summer hit it was constantly taking a long time to start and smelled like gas. So at least in my experience it did get worse

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I bought my truck in march and at first it just seemed to take a little longer than I thought it should take. It gradually got worse and by the time summer hit it was constantly taking a long time to start and smelled like gas. So at least in my experience it did get worse

Good to know. I'm certainly smelling that gas smell already (as well as a burnt oil smell from my leaky valve covers). My hard start issue seems to be actually getting better, but that may simply be because the weather is getting cooler...

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it could be the cold. My was always worse when hot which is why it got worse as the ambient temperature climbed