Question on starter upgrade to gear reduction type for my vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, do I need to shim the new starter? It was a real bear to get it to wedge into place. So I’m guessing there’s not much room to shim anyway, as it really pressed up tight against the bell housing.

No. In all my years I've literally never shimmed a small block Chevy starter.

bob850

Reaction score
No. In all my years I've literally never shimmed a small block Chevy starter.

Thanks. Installed it yesterday and seems to be working good. I used the shorter bolts from the Chevy dealer as well. I appreciate all the replies.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. There's multiple different designs of "gear reduction" starters to fit SBC. GM makes several, plus a horde of aftermarket stuff.
2. Delphi recommends the PG-260 design for "updating" older vehicles.

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/dam/jcr:90f61046-c642-4b19-a850-96df8b09fdd8/6) Technical Service Bulletin - February 2016.pdf

3. The length difference in the starter bolts is important. The DIAMETER difference is at least as important. Mini-starters often have a metric bolt hole, so the bolt needs to be larger diameter than the threaded hole in the block. Be sure you have the correct-size knurl. I prefer the GM bolts to the ARP bolts.

4. I re-used the heat shield from my original starter on the gear-reduction starter, by being obstinate.
You must be registered for see images

5. Be aware that the PG260--like most mini-starters--may not have the "R" terminal on the solenoid for use with points. Not a big deal on any engine built since '75 that came with HEI.

6. The mini-starters are also somewhat allergic to the old "Ford solenoid on the inner fender" trick. Jumping the big + connection to the "S" terminal (the red wire in the first photo of my post, and the white wire on the PG260 heat-shield photo) will cause the starter to stay engaged or a second or three even after the key is released. I had to remove the jumper wire and go back to standard wiring when I added the PG-260 starter.

7. Shims may--or may not--be needed. As much depends on the block as on the starter nose.

8. You'll probably want the OEM brace at the front of the starter, to keep it properly aligned.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PG260 is a model number. 337-1022 is a part number. The 337-1022 may or may not be a PG260-design starter. If the photo on Amazon is correct, it's a PG260 with a 3-terminal solenoid (No "R" terminal.)

Amazon screws-up their photos now and then, so I'm not making a guarantee that it's a PG260.