Putting Carb with Vortec Heads on TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mctavish.95

Reaction score
I have a 1990 350 that is ready for a new motor. I bought another truck with low kms and a standard tranny, its a 92 so basically the same thing. I am going to put the motor, tranny and transfer case out of the 92 and put it in my 90. I want to put vortec heads on the motor with a carb and put the standard tranny im my truck which is an automatic. What i am wondering is what intake do i need to put a 4bbl carb on the motor? I looked on summit but it wont let me select the years of tbi (87 to 95). Does anybody know what intake will work for this set up?? Thanks alot.

Reaction score
That's what I have. Now your stepping into custom territory where 87-95 no longer applies. So for your intake look up 96-99 vortec style (5.7 not the 5.0). I went with summit stage 2 intake which is dual plenum. stage3 is wide open and would be a gas pig and I doubt you'll be WOT all the time. The stage 2 is pretty close to the edlebrock air gap. As long as it's for vortec heads (96-99) you're set. keep in mind that one has no EGR valve hookup so you either have to delete it or find another intake. I glued mine to look like it's there so that the MTO here won't ticket me for not having it on my truck (They are all young cowboys where I live, flexin their authority). Don't forget that you have to rig up your throttle linkage. You said you're going 4 or 5 speed so no tranny cable. A note for fuel...... you CAN use the stock fuel pump if you get a fuel pressure regulator with a RETURN line. I didn't.... dead headed the pump and it over heated and died on me I pushed the stupid thing literally 20Km before it would fire up. Wife loved that....... If you go the regulator route then you need to make 2 adapters for your TBI lines. I went to the junkers, picked up the two pieces that screws into the TBI unit and the lines go into them. took them to a hydrolic supplier where they took the threads off the male end and welded it to a 3/8 fitting so it would work with the carb(note I only made one cause I was dumb). If you go the way I switched to (manual fuel pump) you only need one adapter. The proper way to go manual pump is to take the sending unit out of your truck, take the electric pump off and solder a pickup tube on(clean it good before hand so you don't set yourself on fire). You can suck through the pump and leave it. my buddy did but I don't think that's right. Then put the manual pump on and safely route the line to the carb I used an old spare line i had from my 84 cutlass. Exciting!!!