Put in gear without brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I usually push the brake by habit anyways. Every so often I don’t.
My 98 blazer did that, brake switch was bad but on the 94 idk the brake switch has shift interlock built into it. On newer stuff it's easy to see if ur switch is bad, third brake light won't illuminate if one of the circuits in the switch is bad...I liked my shift without brake , made it easier to get unstuck in the snow lol.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it was 95 as well. That was the interior change year.

I prefer to have control of my vehicle, not our corrupt government. The interlock serves no mechanical purpose, only nanny state control. If anyone knows how to disable it in 2014-up GMC, please share.
Can modify that circuit in the brake switch, I did it for a van for my buddy with me, had to custom fab hand controls for him and traditional ones were for left hand control and he couldn't use left hand, so basically he couldn't hold brake and shift. I ended up taking switch apart and removing the tabs for interlock and jumping them together so he could shift any time without brake. Only issue I could see is if the part that pulls back to let u shift fails, then it'd be locked but that would happen regardless of mod, maybe mod would make it prematurely fail tho. His has been fine for years now tho.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have to agree with Ehall8702 point about it's a lot easier to rock a vehicle if you're stuck with the shift interlock deleted. My 96 Yukon has that ability now thanks to that particular "safety" device having been lost.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Have to agree with Ehall8702 point about it's a lot easier to rock a vehicle if you're stuck with the shift interlock deleted. My 96 Yukon has that ability now thanks to that particular "safety" device having been lost.

Easier to rock a vehicle? I thought the interlock only worked when leaving park. I never needed to touch the brake going from reverse to the forward gears in any of my vehicles.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easier to rock a vehicle? I thought the interlock only worked when leaving park. I never needed to touch the brake going from reverse to the forward gears in any of my vehicles.
Accurate on the interlock; it's just brake to shift from park.

Also the 'rocking' while it may work to help get you unstuck, it's murder on the transmission.

Richard