Parts washers: jobsmart/horror freighters opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Are the cheap 20 gallon parts washers worth buying? I've got a line on a used one that is supposed to power up relatively cheap through an auction house. Thought of getting one for several years now to make cleaning parts "easier" and so i can be more thorough instead of 'good nuf'.

Any opinions here?

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would hold off on a good commercial washer or a drum washer and use solvent like naphtha or mag 1 from northern tool.

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Part of my debate is that its an improvement over using a plastic tub for a low cost. Space constraints hurt me too since I've only got a shed for storage. I plan to use psc 1000 or mineral spirits draining back into original containers when not in use.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mineral spirits works good too. A HF parts washer works good. I’ve seen old industrial drum washers for less than $100 on market place

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
mineral spirits works good too. A HF parts washer works good. I’ve seen old industrial drum washers for less than $100 on market place
I've been checking on and off for about 2 years and haven't come across one like that for less than a few hundred. I put a max bid of $40, if i get it, great. If not, I'll keep looking.

Considered a utility sink as well and using a fuel pump for circulation. Haven't found a cheap sink either though.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Harbor Freight parts washer. The pumps are absolute crap. Don't even bother with the "recommended" solvent-free solvent. Go straight for two jugs of PSC-1000 from Tractor Supply. Be sure and always wear your PPE! You do not want the kidney failure that can come from using solvents.

The pump in mine crapped out, and I replaced it with the 110v pump off a pressure washer that I had laying around. Unfortunately the pressure washer pump is seized up and a new pump is over $100. I could go back with the fish-tank pump that HF used, but I'd rather just use it as an inert tank without a pump than waste my time and money on that junk.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Harbor Freight parts washer. The pumps are absolute crap. Don't even bother with the "recommended" solvent-free solvent. Go straight for two jugs of PSC-1000 from Tractor Supply. Be sure and always wear your PPE! You do not want the kidney failure that can come from using solvents.

The pump in mine crapped out, and I replaced it with the 110v pump off a pressure washer that I had laying around. Unfortunately the pressure washer pump is seized up and a new pump is over $100. I could go back with the fish-tank pump that HF used, but I'd rather just use it as an inert tank without a pump than waste my time and money on that junk.
Some kind of real solvent is a must, as well as proper gloves. I like my organs functioning and not smelling of chemicals for two days.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooh, storytime!

In 1972 my father was a veterinary assistant in the Air Force, assigned to a research lab on the upper end of Groton Naval Base in Connecticut. One of his duties was taking care of the rats they used in animal testing. At the time, the military was seeing high rates of cancer and kidney failure in people who were working with solvents and other chemicals, so they were conducting experiments to try and understand why. When they subjected the rats to testing, they used radioactive isotopes to track the movement of chemicals in the body. They used the isotopes to irradiate the chemicals, and then exposed the rats to the chemicals. After a couple months the rats were euthanized and dissected. The organs were checked for radiation, and in this way they were able to tell which organs ended up absorbing the chemicals. That is how we now know that solvents attack the kidneys.

The radioactivity was very low-level and the rats could be handled as normal, but when they died their carcasses were considered nuclear material. The Navy had strict procedures for handling nuclear material. They have nuclear reactors on board ships and have policies and procedures in place for dealing with dangerous radioactive waste. The rats were clearly not dangerous, but at the time there was no give in the rules. Radioactive was radioactive, whether you were talking about spent fuel rods or rat carcasses. The rats were required to be loaded into 55 gallon drums, marked with the appropriate radioactive markings, and kept in the walk-in refrigerator until the drums were full. Once the drums were full they were to be taken and loaded onto the nuclear barge for shipping off to storage alongside more radioactive materials.

At the end of one experiment my dad and his fellow veterinary assistants loaded three 55 gallon barrels of dead rats into the back of the lab's truck and drove down to the docks at the lower end of the base. They pulled up to the nuclear waste barge and the dock chief approached them. He told them the barge was full and they couldn’t take the barrels. When they asked what to do with the barrels, the chief shrugged and said, “Set them over there. We have another barge coming in a couple days.”

Dead rat carcasses in a sealed container in the August sun heat decompose and create gas. A few days later the gas inside the barrels exceeded the sealing capacity of the drums. The drums exploded, spraying rotting radioactive rat carcasses across the dock.

The Navy considered any spillage of radioactive material to be a nuclear incident. The entire lower end of the base was shut down, with Marines at every building and intersection, enforcing a daytime curfew. It was late in the afternoon, right at shift change. Thousands of workers on the lower end of the base were restricted to their buildings. Keep in mind that in 1972, nearly nobody in Connecticut had air conditioning. It was hot, so the windows were open to catch the breeze… the breeze that was carrying the stench of 165 gallons of rotten rat corpses.

The soupy rat guts were spilled all over the dock, slipping into the bay. Sailors wearing environmental protective suits were sweating profusely while shoveling and mopping rotten rats into new drums and then scrubbing the dock afterwards. Floating rat carcasses had to be fished out of the water. The base stayed locked down and nobody could go home until the job was done. The upper base? Completely open, so my dad and his coworkers got off work and went home as normal.

The admiral was proud of the work done on his base, and his office was a block away so he could be near his ships. He had to sit and smell the stench the entire time. The very next day a new policy directive was penned. No matter how low the radiation level was of a barrel of dead rats, they always had priority on the disposal barge.

Reaction score
Ooh, storytime!

In 1972 my father was a veterinary assistant in the Air Force, assigned to a research lab on the upper end of Groton Naval Base in Connecticut. One of his duties was taking care of the rats they used in animal testing. At the time, the military was seeing high rates of cancer and kidney failure in people who were working with solvents and other chemicals, so they were conducting experiments to try and understand why. When they subjected the rats to testing, they used radioactive isotopes to track the movement of chemicals in the body. They used the isotopes to irradiate the chemicals, and then exposed the rats to the chemicals. After a couple months the rats were euthanized and dissected. The organs were checked for radiation, and in this way they were able to tell which organs ended up absorbing the chemicals. That is how we now know that solvents attack the kidneys.

The radioactivity was very low-level and the rats could be handled as normal, but when they died their carcasses were considered nuclear material. The Navy had strict procedures for handling nuclear material. They have nuclear reactors on board ships and have policies and procedures in place for dealing with dangerous radioactive waste. The rats were clearly not dangerous, but at the time there was no give in the rules. Radioactive was radioactive, whether you were talking about spent fuel rods or rat carcasses. The rats were required to be loaded into 55 gallon drums, marked with the appropriate radioactive markings, and kept in the walk-in refrigerator until the drums were full. Once the drums were full they were to be taken and loaded onto the nuclear barge for shipping off to storage alongside more radioactive materials.

At the end of one experiment my dad and his fellow veterinary assistants loaded three 55 gallon barrels of dead rats into the back of the lab's truck and drove down to the docks at the lower end of the base. They pulled up to the nuclear waste barge and the dock chief approached them. He told them the barge was full and they couldn’t take the barrels. When they asked what to do with the barrels, the chief shrugged and said, “Set them over there. We have another barge coming in a couple days.”

Dead rat carcasses in a sealed container in the August sun heat decompose and create gas. A few days later the gas inside the barrels exceeded the sealing capacity of the drums. The drums exploded, spraying rotting radioactive rat carcasses across the dock.

The Navy considered any spillage of radioactive material to be a nuclear incident. The entire lower end of the base was shut down, with Marines at every building and intersection, enforcing a daytime curfew. It was late in the afternoon, right at shift change. Thousands of workers on the lower end of the base were restricted to their buildings. Keep in mind that in 1972, nearly nobody in Connecticut had air conditioning. It was hot, so the windows were open to catch the breeze… the breeze that was carrying the stench of 165 gallons of rotten rat corpses.

The soupy rat guts were spilled all over the dock, slipping into the bay. Sailors wearing environmental protective suits were sweating profusely while shoveling and mopping rotten rats into new drums and then scrubbing the dock afterwards. Floating rat carcasses had to be fished out of the water. The base stayed locked down and nobody could go home until the job was done. The upper base? Completely open, so my dad and his coworkers got off work and went home as normal.

The admiral was proud of the work done on his base, and his office was a block away so he could be near his ships. He had to sit and smell the stench the entire time. The very next day a new policy directive was penned. No matter how low the radiation level was of a barrel of dead rats, they always had priority on the disposal barge.
Thanks for the best post I have read in a long time!

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Auction closed after midnight Monday, I wasn't staying up or putting any more money up for it so it went for low $50s to someone that didn't bid until right before closing.

The hunt continues. Maybe a utility sink will show up at the house one day.

Erik, I can only imagine the stench that came from the rotten rat mess scattered around. Thanks for a good laugh.