Overheating with plow on truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My engine runs warm when I have my plow on. I am still running the 5 blade fan, though. I need to get myself the newer fan.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at this blade from Advance Auto... http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...tic-fan-blade-dorman--oe-solutions_10572949-p
You must be registered for see images

Either that... or this one from RockAuto... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=887449&cc=1355071
You must be registered for see images

Dorman is a little more expensive, but it is locally available and I can return if the size is not right. Also, they have a promo code 15% off purchase plus $25 coupon for future $50 purchase...

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, Advance doesn't have it in stock. Guess rockauto is way I'm going. Much cheaper anyway... and AC Delco unit...

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the effect of dirty coils on your radiator and the same goes for your A/C condenser coils. As air travels through the system, dirt particles and debris build up on the coils which make it more and more difficult for the coils to cool effectively. Imagine driving around in the heat of summer with a piece of cardboard in front of your radiator; a dirty radiator will keep your vehicle from cooling your engine effectively, and a dirty condenser coil will keep your A/C from cooling your cab effectively. Not saying this is the primary issue, but it may be a contributing factor.

At the facilities I manage, my engineers clean the coils on an annual basis. The building pulls air in a very similar way to a vehicle, but in the building, the coils receive filtered outside air (and they still need to be cleaned annually!). Here's a pic of the main bank of condenser coils at one of my facilities: 15' tall and 50' wide with air being drawn in by 3 car size fans

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the effect of dirty coils on your radiator and the same goes for your A/C condenser coils. As air travels through the system, dirt particles and debris build up on the coils which make it more and more difficult for the coils to cool effectively. Imagine driving around in the heat of summer with a piece of cardboard in front of your radiator; a dirty radiator will keep your vehicle from cooling your engine effectively, and a dirty condenser coil will keep your A/C from cooling your cab effectively. Not saying this is the primary issue, but it may be a contributing factor.

At the facilities I manage, my engineers clean the coils on an annual basis, the building pulls air in a very similar way to a vehicle. But in the building, the coils receive filtered outside air (and they still need to be cleaned annually!). Here's a pic of the main bank of condenser coils at one of my facilities: 15' tall and 50' wide with air being drawn in by 3 car size fans

You must be registered for see images attach

True.

I pull my rad out at the beginning of every towing season and clean it.

I lay it on a couple sawhorses, ease out the bits of gravel/bugs, soak it down with "scrubbing bubbles" and then flush water through it (open hose, low pressure) from rear to front as it would be in the truck.

I also hit the condenser coils and the engine oil/trans coolers while I'm at it. I also make sure the fan clutch bimetallic spring is free of oil and schmutz.

I finish up by straightening any bent or smushed fins and back in it goes.

Truck holds it's temp under the heaviest of loads no problems. Rarely ticks over 205.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
True.

I pull my rad out at the beginning of every towing season and clean it.

I lay it on a couple sawhorses, ease out the bits of gravel/bugs, soak it down with "scrubbing bubbles" and then flush water through it (open hose, low pressure) from rear to front as it would be in the truck.

I also hit the condenser coils and the engine oil/trans coolers while I'm at it. I also make sure the fan clutch bimetallic spring is free of oil and schmutz.

I finish up by straightening any bent or smushed fins and back in it goes.

Truck holds it's temp under the heaviest of loads no problems. Rarely ticks over 205.

Nice! That'll take care of it.

I just clean mine in the vehicle as thoroughly as I can, but I also don't tow nearly as much weight as you do. One of these day I'll rip it out completely for a good deep cleaning.