Over Pressure ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckyB

Reaction score
I was wondering how many others had ever had an issue with theyre computer causing an over pressure situation in the trany. I have a 93 Suburban with a 5.7 and 4l60e that got rebiult about 8K ago. It has a 24K/24MO warranty on it and reverse was going out. I took it back to the shop and got told it wasn't the trany, it was the truck. It was running almost 2x normal pressure and had stripped out the luggs in the trans. I just wondered if this had happened to anyone before or how offten it dose happen.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they not going to warranty it? How did it feel when it shifted gears? I have seen a few computers go bad that jacks the pressure control solenoid up and it bangs when it shifts. If they are trying to get out of warrantying it I would show my arse.

ChuckyB

Reaction score
I'm not sure that they are trying to void the warranty but he has said that it was a computer issue and that it was running about 190 psi in D and close to 300 psi in reverse. I did not know that a 4l60e could make that much pressure. The shifts were firm but I did not think they were that bad. The first transmission had about 257K on it but the rebuilt one got just a bit under 8K.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's about max pressure for sure. Orielys has those computers for around 100 dollars, they are plug and play so no re-flash necessary.

ChuckyB

Reaction score
Cool, I am hopeing that I can salvage most of the parts and maybe use one of the case saver options that are out there. I'm also trying to figgure out which kit to order from ya. =) The place still has not said one way or the other about the warranty, but I'm trying to hope for the best and planing for the worst right now.

ChuckyB

Reaction score
Well as an update the shop has said that they will replace the trany and comp, but after that I'm on my own. I'm not too impressed that they are putting an other trans in and repairing what they said caused the failure but they don't care to back it up any. Oh well, at least I should have my truck back this week. I'm still baffeled how the computer "failed" but did not default to limp home mode. The guy at the shop couldn't answer that either.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does happen. They fail by the computer commanding max pressure all the time. The computer sends the signal as if you are wide open throttle. As far as the computer is concerned, there isn't a problem. So no limp mode. I would be pissed he's not going to further the warranty though. That's just not good business. I would show my ass a little. Just curious, how much was the original bill?

ChuckyB

Reaction score
Well now that makes a bit of sence, it would have been nice if the shop could have said that. The original bill was $1500. It dose shif differently now, but I didn't think it was too bad to begin with. Is the comp thing just an issue with the 93-94 trucks, or with the whole 4l60e line ?