onstar mirror in obs? work in progress!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok i picked up an onstar mirror for the 97. ill be moving the compass/ auto dim from the 92 into the 92. i mainly picked this mirror for a new style look + the compass and outside air temp / autodim. im working on how to wire this all together. its the 16 pin out of a 2000 something envoy. i got the air temp sensor with it anything else needed? here is the pin out i have found online.

this is not the wiring file for all gentex mirrors as mine is now fried make sure you get the correct pinout if your going to try this!
7-pin: (*required connection; **required if you have a temp display)

PIN 1 = PINK = POWER = +12 volts*
PIN 2 = BLACK = CHASSIS, GROUND*
PIN 3 = LIGHT GREEN = BACKUP LIGHTS*
If not using the backup feature, connect this to ground otherwise auto dim will not function properly.
PIN 4 = GRAY = TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
PIN 5 = PINK = TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
PIN 6 = DARK GREEN/WHITE = TEMP SENSOR**

PIN 7 = BLACK/WHITE = TEMP SENSOR**16 pin: (*required; **required if you have a temp display)

1 = Grey = not used
2 = Bare = Microphone
OnStar Mirrors
3 = = "Passenger Air Bag on" notification

some GM trucks - ground pin to activate icon
4 = = "Passenger Air Bag off" notification

some GM trucks - ground pin to activate icon
5 = = auto day/night signal from LH outside mirror

If you have a dimmable mirror, the rearview mirror can dim it with this and pin 16
6 = Brown = Temp probe connection**
7 = Green/Black = Temp probe connection**
8 = Black = Ground*

Common to Pin 9
9 = Light Green = Reverse Dim Inhibit

Common to Pin 8, +12V from reverse lights to disable dimming
10 = Gray = Microphone

OnStar
11 = Dark Green/White = keypad signal (out)

OnStar - multiplexed signal
12 = Light Green = keypad +5v supply (in)

OnStar
13 = Yellow = +12V switched (ignition)*
14 = Yellow/Black = Green LED signal

OnStar - apply 12v to light LED.
15 = Brown/White = Red LED signal

OnStar - apply 12v to light LED.
16 = = day/night signal to LH outside mirror

Last edited:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
more info found searching from another post.

Hog - the compass and compass/temp mirrors GM used are all made by Gentex. So if you go to a GM dealer and buy one, all you'll get is a Gentex mirror in a box with a GM label on it (same goes for the Toyota dealer, the Ford dealer, and so on - in my several years of dealing with these mirrors, I had bought various dealer lots of excess stock and so on, and whenever I got the mirrors, they almost always were in the exact same box, the only difference was the label. Heck, the boxes weren't even custom-printed for each carmaker, they just used their own sticker!).

Anyhow - if the truck your dad bought has an overhead console, there's a very good chance that it may have the wiring in place already for the compass-autodim mirror. I'm not all that familiar with that generation of truck, but my 99 Silverado was prewired for the compass mirror. All I had to do was pull the console, bring the wiring down to the mirror, and plug it in. There is no interaction with the ECU - all the mirror needs is power and ground to operate (ok, there is a third wire that is connected to the reverse lights wiring - this is used by the mirror to prevent itself from going into dim mode when backing up).

So if you want to add just the compass mirror, there's a good chance it will be plug and play. Otherwise, it's just a matter of running a 12 volt, hot-with-the-ignition on feed and a ground wire to the mirror.

If you want to add the compass-temp mirror, first off, be sure to get the plug & pigtail with the mirror, because even if your truck has the compass mirror wiring in place, you'll need the correct terminals for the mirror plug, and those are not something readily available anywhere. You will also need to get the temperature sensor, too - look on Ebay, as I used to see those regularly, and most came with the plug and pigtail, too - there again, be sure to get that, too, because the plugs are not something you'll find anywhere except possibly for the dealer. The temperature sensor connects to the #6 and #7 terminals of the mirror, polarity doesn't matter (for reference, the standard wiring on the compass mirrors is 12 volts, hot with ignition on to terminal #1, usually a pink or pinkish-red wire, ground to #2, and the reverse lights feed to #3, usually a green, light green, or light green w/black stripe wire).

If you've got access to a local wrecking yard, that would be a good route to take; otherwise, Ebay of course. I've had a lot of good luck dealing with LKQ corporation - both on and off of Ebay, so I can recommend them. Decent prices, quick shipping, no BS.

One other thing - if you would like to get the compass temp mirror, there were two versions, one known as the "single display" model and the other the "dual display" model. The single display model shows either compass OR temperature individually by pressing the respective button. The dual display model has a slightly larger display window that shows both compass and temperature at the same time.

Hopefully this is of use to you - if you have any questions, let me know (I don't get the opportunity to be on this site nearly as much as I used to or would like to be able to, so email me at [email protected] if you'd like).

Regards,
Bob Prim

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My mirror has a compass, maybe it also has a thermometer. It has two buttons I don't know what they do.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i belive thats what its for. mine has the same compass/auto fade from the factory. and that was the wrong wiring for the onstar mirror it fried it :( screwed again! but to be honest i got it out of my neighbors wrecked envoy before it went to the yard so no loss i guess but still was upsetting. im going to get another mirror from ebay and give it another try but ill post up the correct wiring for it once i figure it out.