Oil type on new/rebuilt engine

What oil would YOU use in a brand new/rebuilt Vortec 350

• Synthetic Blend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cheapest Conventional - whatever's on sale at Walmart/Costco/Auto parts store that day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
If you were to either put in a new engine or get the engine completely overhauled and rebuilt in a 1998 K1500 which type of oil would you run?

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1. I stick with Mobil 1 for all of my vehicles since its regularly on sale at Walmart for $23.88 for 5 quarts. For filters I use Royal Purple from Amazon.

mistaake

Reaction score
Keep in mind that I am not a mechanic nor do I pretend to know much about this type of science but my assumption is that a synthetic blend oil's main benefit over conventional is less wear when cold starting since synthetic oil flows better at all temperatures, and doesn't a majority of the wear on an engine occur during a cold start? If an engine is designed to run on conventional oil and can get to 200K miles on conventional oil then surely with a synthetic blend oil it can hit 300K miles no problem? Or is this completely false?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whenever I eventually have to rebuild, I'll be using Amsoil synthetic.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conventional for the first 500 miles then go synthetic if you want. A 98 should have a roller cam so no break in specific stuff would be needed. If for some reason you dont have a roller cam then you need the break in additive or break in oil for that first start up to break in the cam.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I voted Premium Synthetic, but that is AFTER break-in. You should always use a proper break-in/conventional oil for the first few hundred miles.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a good question cause I am just gonna put penzoil again pfffft

I had put royal purple after the first 1500 miles -___- what a waste But I love the technology for before and after on the cylinder walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need to use a break in oil for the first 500 miles, it needs to be non detergent straight 30 weight oil. Something like Joe Gibbs BR30 which is what I use, never break an engine in with synthetic oil, it can impede the rings from seating correctly! Also most break in oils contain extra zinc for the break in process which is good even in vehicles that have a roller cam and lifters.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Preferably a break in oil, second would be dino, and dead last would be synthetic. I broke my Camaro's engine in with cheapass dino oil ( I think some Havoline 10W30) on the dyno (so I thought, it didn't seat until the race!). The car made for numbers, so I went with 20W50 Valvoline conventional VR1 oil for my first race weekend and after the motor took a seat I went with Mobil1. I would have gone with something better, but I thought I was seeing metal flakes. After ordering a filter cutter and verifying that's not the case, I can again run the good stuff.