Oil smell on full throttle, lack of power, bogging after shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is a 92 Blazer, so 5.7 TBI and 4L60. First noticed anytime I accelerated hard, which isn't often, there'd be an oil smell. Not burnt per se, but similar to crankcase vapor. The PCV valve is relatively new and still in place. Twice now after a full throttle shift it boggs hard and doesn't accelerate at until I let off and give it a second. It seems like its down on power altogether, like it takes more pedal to stay at 60 than normal. It also seems like it's been getting worse gas mileage lately, down to 8.5-9 from the normal 10.5mpg. That may not be a symptom though. Fuel pressure is steady at 13psi all the time I've noticed, but I didn't think to look when it bogged down. Plugs and wires are relatively new, 3 wire 02 sensor as well. Previous owner removed that cat, so that's not it either. No engine codes, just the normal 12 code.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it to happen on the drive home, when it happens fuel pressure drops to 11 or so. That seems like enough for a tbi but it also shouldn't be dropping at all. The fuel filter is very new, so it's sounding like its time for a pump upgrade.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure shouldn't drop. IF (big IF) the pump is getting proper voltage, you may be looking at needed a pump and strainer.

I'd still connect a scan tool and verify all sensors and computer outputs. Double-check the usual tune-up items, too.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are u getting blue smoke out of the exhaust? could be leaking valve stem seals fouling a plug.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure shouldn't drop. IF (big IF) the pump is getting proper voltage, you may be looking at needed a pump and strainer.

I'd still connect a scan tool and verify all sensors and computer outputs. Double-check the usual tune-up items, too.

So it's more likely a bad connection than the pump itself failing? If I've gotta drop the tank though I may as well replace it while I'm there, but I'll definitely give all the wiring a good look. I still don't have a scan tool for this, haven't been able to find one at a decent price and I can't justify it for just one vehicle I don't plan to keep much longer.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is POSSIBLE that this is a wire-harness problem. I'm not saying it's likely.

I went ahead and ordered a pump assembly anyways. 260k miles on it, and the sender is wrong anyways. Plus the tank could probably use a cleaning. I'll take it down to do the AC and the pump this weekend probably.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're putting in a pump, make sure you get an in-tank wire harness, too.

Sometimes they come with the pump. Usually, you have to buy 'em separately.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're putting in a pump, make sure you get an in-tank wire harness, too.

Sometimes they come with the pump. Usually, you have to buy 'em separately.
I think it does but if not I'll get one, I ordered the Delphi HP10001 a lot of people recommended