Oil burning on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mitch4x4

Reaction score
On my 1998 k2500 5.7 I started noticing at the beginning of the year that on start ups it puffs some smoke and smells and it doesn’t happen often, it does it once in awhile. It usually burns 1-2 quarts an oil change. Then today I noticed I had oil sitting in my intake cover. I replaced the pcv valve about 2 months ago and it still seems to be working to my knowledge. Is the motor building to much crankcase pressure to put oil in the intake cover or what’s the issue? Im still new to working on motors any help is appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where does the PCV hose enter the intake stream? If it enters upstream of that visible oil, you could pull the PCV hose itself, to see if the oil is coming from the PCV system, perhaps due to insufficient baffles in the (aftermarket???) valve cover.

Mitch4x4

Reaction score
Where does the PCV hose enter the intake stream? If it enters upstream of that visible oil, you could pull the PCV hose itself, to see if the oil is coming from the PCV system, perhaps due to insufficient baffles in the (aftermarket???) valve cover.
The oil is after the pcv hose and it’s all stock valve covers

Attachments

• 90B22CAF-BEF2-4863-8CA4-DC8A80FE363B.jpeg
    90B22CAF-BEF2-4863-8CA4-DC8A80FE363B.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 9