OBS 2500 ECSB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86454k30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice. What size tires are those? They do wonders for adding a little extra height to the ride.

They are 265/75/16's. I really debated doing 18s but it drives so damn nice that I don't want to mess with it too much. I use it primarily to tow my boat.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
please please keep it exactly as it is!! looks sooooo good!!! if anything do cab clearance lights

Jeeves

Reaction score
Thanks. It didn't look so good when I got it, but really just needed the cap/bug guard/running boards removed and a good detail. Now the motor is out of it. I tore it apart today and hope to get it to the machine shop Monday. Then hope to get it back quickly and start reassembly.

I've driven the Vortec 454 trucks. Also the 496 in the later trucks. They do run well. Again, I just didn't want the poor mileage. We'll see how mine does with a fresh motor.

How many miles did the truck have on it for you to justify tearing out the motor? Just wondering.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles did the truck have on it for you to justify tearing out the motor? Just wondering.

123k. I didn't pull it due to mileage. I bought the truck knowing the motor has a miss at idle. I figured it was the fuel injector in the manifold (common problem with the Vortec). Turns out it had low compression in one cylinder (less than 60 psi, but went up to 125psi when oil squirted into the cylinder). The rest had 160-200 psi. The truck ran fine, but would idle very rough. I found a head gasket staring to fail and a cracked ring on the bad cylinder. Oddly enough it has a bent connecting rod in another cylinder. Otherwise the motor is super clean inside and all bearing clearances are spot on.

The fact that I got a higher reading when filling the cylinder with oil pretty much told me it was a ring issue.

My last K series truck had 164k on it when I bought it and that motor was good to 230k.

86454k30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your truck is amazing!!! With tow mirrors and cab lights, one of the best looking 400's I could think of.
Thank you I love it! Cab lights may happen...tow mirrors I want but it won't fit through my double gate at home without opening both gates so probably won't happen.