NP241 opened up.. few questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I have this thing mostly disassembled, pretty sure I have found all the broken stuff.

Gonna need new fork pads (the pads on the small fork were almost non-existent).
4WD Actuator Switch has a bent pin smashed down flat in the connector.
Oil pump is destroyed. (The debris I found on the magnet looks like what came off of it).
Retainer snap ring was broke. (Expected that)

Questions:
Does this synchro look ok? The teeth still have the angles on them, but they look gouged. The sleeve seems to slide onto it ok while turning by hand and I did not have trouble shifting into any of the 2/4WD modes... Just trouble with the transfer case popping out of 2HI into neutral. (Especially reversing quickly or up a slope)

Large snap ring looking thing. Found it clinging to the magnet with the oil pump shrapnel. (last pic) - Where does this go? Or what is the part name? (I have the 7D and 7D2 transfer case service manuals.. I can't determine what this is).

Everything else looks pretty good. I'm certain my clunk in reverse was from this case.

Attachments

• 20230814_171737[1].jpg
    20230814_171737[1].jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230814_171824[1].jpg
    20230814_171824[1].jpg
    215 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230814_171753[1].jpg
    20230814_171753[1].jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230814_171852[1].jpg
    20230814_171852[1].jpg
    210 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your brass syncro blocker ring is trashed. No biggie, those are cheap. Tough to tell from the angle of the pic, but if those teeth on the gear itself are now parallel instead of fatter on the end facing away from the gear, that will cause the truck to pop out of whatever we're looking at in pic #3.

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your brass syncro blocker ring is trashed. No biggie, those are cheap. Tough to tell from the angle of the pic, but if those teeth on the gear itself are now parallel instead of fatter on the end facing away from the gear, that will cause the truck to pop out of whatever we're looking at in pic #3.
Thank you.

It looks like all 3 keys were missing from the brass ring. Found one on the magnet and the other two were destroyed.

Ordered a new synchro, sleeve, and key/lock ring kit... among other stuff.

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update.

Rebuilt case went back in a few hours ago. Filled it up. No leaks. Fired up the truck and tested reverse. No more clunking!

Case shifts into and out of all four positions easily. Next step will be the actuator upgrade and front diff flush.

Thanks for all the help guys! :biggrin:
You must be registered for see images attach

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I'll be dealing with the slow leak out the back even with the new output shaft seal. (Could have avoided this with the SYE kit.. but I didn't want to deal with that)

So I will be checking xfer case fluid level frequently.

Anyone know how low it can get before parts start getting damaged? Judging by the design and the carnage I saw when I tore it apart, its the range fork/pads that will start to wear out first.