Not sure where to go from here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seraphiim

Reaction score
I have a 1998 1500 z71 that is a daily driver for my work truck. The other morning while heading to work I heard a rough grinding noise from the front drivers side. Thought it might be a stick caliper or something so I turned around and went back home and got another vehicle.

Today I took a look at it. When the front is off the ground the passenger side spins freely but the drivers side only turns about and inch then stops.

Took the caliper off and still wouldn't turn so I took the hub assembly off to check the bearing and it is in good condition. Not sure where to go from here, it makes the sound while driving straight and turning so. I'm wondering if it is something in the front differential? Not sure how to check it. Thanks for the help.

Seraphiim

Reaction score
Well after looking at it some more the only thing I can think of is something is in a bind in the front differential keeping the drivers side from being able to turn. Any ideas?

Also the vacuum cap was hanging off the differential so I'm guessing mud and such has gotten in there...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pop to front diff cover off and take a look if the vent caps been off for a while......

sent from what use to be a great country...

Seraphiim

Reaction score
Guess that is the next step haha, no idea how long it has been off.

It's was on a few months back when I replaced the Pittman arm but the truck has been through hell and back since then so...

Guess to take the cover off the front diff you have to remove the passenger cv joint/cv axle? That's the only cover I see

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be a drain plug on the side near the bottom..... forgot those don't have the normal diff cover.... drain it and see what comes out... if it's "mud" you can drain it, then spray a couple cans of brake clean in the fill hole (keep moving the nozzle around the inside of diff) then let it all drain out... keep doing that till it drains pretty clear.... if nasty you can also dump a bunch of cleaner in there (with the drain plug in) then lift the front end and rotate the wheels to get the gears moving then drain again and see what you get outta it...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Seraphiim

Reaction score
Alright man I'll give that a try, I'm hoping it just had gravel or a rock jammed in there right now keeping me from turning the driver side wheel by hand, wishful thinking probably haha, I'll give her a good cleaning and see what happens