No tail lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbrown71793

Reaction score
i got an 88 k1500 Monday and the tail lights do not work no brake lights either. When I turn my blinker on both will flash but that’s it. I’ve checked ground cleaned it up fuse is good and replaced the brake light switch and still nothing. I’m just looking for some help I’m gonna climb under it tomorrow and look at the wires better it didn’t look like any was rotted but I could have missed something

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they flash then you have power to the back of the truck so the difficulty will be in the circuit from the pedal to the rear of the truck most likely. The Volt / ohm meter is your friend. It could be the circuit boards on the tail lights as they are know to be a weakness. If they are replacements even more so.

The switch provides a ground to turn the light on so a jumper wire to ground might be useful for some of the testing. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Others with more experience than me can likely provide more specific suggestions.

Jbrown71793

Reaction score
Ok thank you. I picked up a volt meter today so tomorrow I’ll be checking every thing out. Was hoping some thing was just loose but after spending some time under it today I don’t think that’s the case