New to Chevys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jules083

Reaction score
Hi all, just bought my first Chevy after driving Fords since getting my license in 2000.

Chose Chevy because I don't like the Ford 5.4 or V-10 in the 99+ trucks. It came down to either a pre-97 Ford or an 88+ GM. Found a clean 99 K2500 with a 5.7 and bought it. Not exactly what I wanted but close enough. Wanted 454, regular cab, 5 speed. Got 5.7, extended cab, auto. Either way finding a rust free 2500/3500 with low(er) miles and no obvious heavy towing or abuse was hard to do.

Of course, after years of me jokingly making fun of Chevys, I have to tear my new truck apart to fix the motor.

Poking around with my research now, but I do at a minimum need an intake gasket set. I know to get the Fel-Pro gasket, it's in my Rock Auto shopping cart already. Going to poke around in the truck a little bit now to see if anything obvious shows wear or age, and will probably order a thermostat just because it'll be out.

Truck has 111,000 miles, and I'm expecting a lot more. I travel for work, and use the truck to pull my camper when I'm going out of town, which is more often than I'd like. Planning on running the truck for at least another 100k if all goes well.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I have 225000 on my 97 - 5.7L . These trucks are good for 300000 + miles with regular maintenance.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Wish my 97 Suburban had that low of mileage, I'm pushing 245K now!

Good choice of Ford too! Love the OBS/Brick-Body trucks; I'd only ever have one with a 7.3L though, same goes for the 99+ body style.