New seat upolstery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If they get really bitchy, I'll hand 'em a pair of scissors. "Here, let's see what you can do!"
Got a good friend that's a fitter, fabricator, machinist, welder, millwright.
He used to bug me (usually after a couple of beers or 6!) about my labor rate. He'd say that he has got $50,000 in tools & machines, & charges $70/hr. out of his home shop. Whereas I've got $10,000 in machinery & tools & I charge $50/hr. How can I justify that?
Well, he wanted the interior of his '46 Chevy sedan delivery. I said sure, but I'll do a bit of a trade with you. I'll do your interior, you pay for materials, & while I'm doing that, there's a '62 T-Bird sitting there that needs an interior. You pull the seats out, mark 'em for layout, tear 'em down, cut 'em out, then lay out & cut out all the new material, so all I have to do is sew them up. I'll show you how to put the covers on. As I do one, you can be doing the other. He says, "sure!".
Three days later, 24 hours of work, & he finally finishes the job. I haven't started sewing any of it yet. He says,"Holy Crap! That's a bunch of work!"
I say, "Wake up call! What the 'F' do you think I do? Close my eyes & throw the materials at the vehicle, & the seats are covered?"
He never bugged me again about what I charge!

I guess you're right on the fact that I really don't know much about doing interior work. I mean, I put a couple pins in a piece of fabric once for my senior toga, but that's about it.

I don't do a lot of business with the public, but if someone off the street brings something into my shop and wants work on it, I charge a $55 an hour shop rate.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The 'webbing' that you see is part of the cover itself. The cover is actually a sandwich of the outer fabric, 1/2" foam, then a backing material. What you're seeing is that backing.
Check what I recommeneded to Chris. See if you can find some of that original matching material to replace that trashed stuff at the wreckers.
And yes, sometimes it's easier just to replace the seat with a good one. Cheaper, too!
Damn & I just sold a garnet red bench from an '88-'91 that had the small fold-out armrest. $100.00 just to get it outa my way. If I would have known sooner, you could of had it for the cost of the shipping! It was like new!

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Hey Al, how did that steering wheel turn out?

Also, maybe you can tell me. I hate the NBS interior, it just feels too crowded and bulky with the massive dash, small windshield, and huge center console. The one thing I love is the steering wheel outer ring. It feels like leather, but it has a very smooth feel and almost looks shiny. Do you know what I'm talking about? Is there any way to get the outer ring of my OBS wheel to be like this? Any idea how much it would cost?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Lol! Yea, the steering wheel!
First attempt...The holes I punched didn't line up, so the lacing was off. The holes were a little far apart, too.
Second attempt...The holes were too close together & as I pulled the lacing through, it cut the leather between the holes.
Had some customer's stuff I had to get done, so it's been off the bench for a few days.
Third attempt starts tomorrow. Third time lucky? Fingers crossed!

Not familar with the new trucks. Got a pic? I will say that steering wheels are not high on my list of fun projects to do! Not right now, anyhow!

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi sewlow,

I appreciate the heads up, looks like I'd have to replace the whole lower section then. :(

I don't feel too bad about the seat, looks like it has a few small tears in it. I know beggars can't be choosers, but my interior literally looks like it does in the brochure. No wear, no fading, no staining. All the buttons/switches have their lettering/clearcoat 100% intact, no stains at all on the carpet, no scratches on the heel pad, etc. etc.

If I find a replacement, it has to be perfect, or really, really close. I have a near mint 60/40 split bench sitting in my shed that I can swap in...problem is, someone sprayed it a slightly different shade of red....any ideas how to get that off? It's dye I think, not paint. The "texture" of the seats hasn't changed any.

There is one on eBay, but they want quite a bit for it...more than I can justify paying. I mean for shipping, I'd have said yes, and I appreciate that offer. I'd have tired to make it work somehow. :)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No probs. Like to help out where & when I can.
Dye doesn't come off. Only cure is to redye it the color you need.
Love to hear about interiors that have stood the test of time! They're only original once!

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will take some photos, gotta fix the headliner first though.

Even has a working R-12 system...brrr!

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Sewlew... you got your work cut out for you on this forum! i have to admit, i love the work you do. And i can asure you that the interior of my truck will be all done by the one and only! And i will surely make sure everyone knows it too! But thats only if your ready for the task! We've talked and bounced ideers alot back and forth, i really cant wait till stuff starts going!

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
well im just going to poke my head in here a smidge ,having basically no interior experience either...BUT what i do have is a Classic Industries catalog for our trucks that have OE replacement (repro) kits for our seats...i just have one problem. my truck factory has an odd seat. it shows my seat being the front seat of an ext cab truck, not for a RC. sooo, i wont be buying that kit cuz i dont need the other half of the kit for a seat i dont have.