New 1997 Chevy 1500 Z71 (TO ME)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
What’s up guys just wanted to join a forum where I can seek help and info for this truck!

Any suggestions for making the truck look for fierce? I plan to mainly keep it stock and reliable but want it to look sexy.

What should I start on first to freshen her up? She is mechanically fine but maybe I can start on some preventative maintenance and redo fluids.

Any ideas for improving the interior? I want to add the AUX for the radio and seat protection to keep the fabric as clean as possible. Also looking for a top cap compatible with a lumber rack. Thanks everyone! Open to suggestions for future mods!

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpeg
    IMG_1701.jpeg
    686.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1702.jpeg
    IMG_1702.jpeg
    695.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1703.jpeg
    IMG_1703.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1704.jpeg
    IMG_1704.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1705.jpeg
    IMG_1705.jpeg
    711.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! New trucks are fun but they aren’t without their headaches or unexpected findings.

What I would do:

1) change all the fluids and filters, send in the engine oil for analysis at Blackstone Labs. I would bet money that the gear oil is factory fill.

2) inspect the front end for play. Ball joints, steering box, pitman/idler, tie rods, bushings, etc. It is possible those are original too. Grease grease grease those parts! Not excessively, just repeating to state how important it is. I grease my front end every oil change.

3) adjust your shoes! Proper brake adjustment is key. Use your parking brake. It helps keep the shoes adjusted. Also just give the brakes a general inspection. While you’re doing this check your axle seals.

4) track your fuel economy. Fuel economy gives you a good idea of what to expect. When your results differ from your expectations after a couple tanks of fuel you might need to investigate.

5) add some QOL upgrades. @5vortec7 sells a big 3 upgrade kit for your battery, grounds, alternator, and starter wires. You can also hit him up for a 4 hi mod. @Cokeman95 sells great replacement splash shields. There are other great members to deal with here as well.

6) Other stuff is the spider injector upgrade to replace the OE injection. It is a drop in upgrade. I don’t know a ton about it because I’ve got all TBI trucks in my fleet.

7) enjoy it! You own one of the greatest GM products ever produced.

Again, welcome! She sure is pretty! Everyone here is great to be around.

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for making the truck look for fierce? I plan to mainly keep it stock and reliable but want it to look sexy.

Stock IS sexy. You have a good looking, original looking truck. Getting more rare. I would be inclined to keep it that way - modded trucks are a dime a dozen, and 10 years from now much less attractive than one that hasn't been hacked by amateurs.

If you MUST mod, then next best option is to only do easily reversible mods. Like updated wheels, head unit, etc. Once the drilling, lifting or cutting starts, then you may as well not turn back.

Best option is to do what you want - your truck after all - and not listen to what I do with my trucks.

Welcome!

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
Stock IS sexy. You have a good looking, original looking truck. Getting more rare. I would be inclined to keep it that way - modded trucks are a dime a dozen, and 10 years from now much less attractive than one that hasn't been hacked by amateurs.

If you MUST mod, then next best option is to only do easily reversible mods. Like updated wheels, head unit, etc. Once the drilling, lifting or cutting starts, then you may as well not turn back.

Best option is to do what you want - your truck after all - and not listen to what I do with my trucks.

Welcome!
I agree 100% stock is sexy, I mainly am referring to small mods, I don’t plan to cut, lift, or squat. Just want it a little bit more aggressive looking.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first, and most important, thing to do with your truck is drive it and enjoy it. While you are doing that you will get to learn all about it's little issues and things that need tweaking. Once you get to know your truck you will know what you want to do with it. But don't rush and overthink it, you have all the time in the world so sit back enjoy the journey.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a very nice truck, I wouldn't get in a hurry to start modifying it. Like the other guys said, a clean stock OBS is getting rare these days. Too many of them got hacked up by teenagers.

If I were you I'd just do some small stuff. LED lights all around, polish or replace headlight housings, figure something out for the radio, (depends on how much you want to spend) and track mpg to make sure it's running right. Other than that keep it clean and keep it running, and keep good tires on it. OEM parts are 100% worth it on these trucks, the Doorman stuff is crap. Buy Delphi or AC Delco whenever you can, and always ask here for better alternatives if you can't find it.

What's the mileage?

Some major issues you are bound to see at some point are:
-Fuel pump
-Injectors. Be sure to get a genuine Delphi spider unit. Be very careful because the bolts to access this are very brittle and weak. I broke two, even being careful with a tq wrench.
-Intake gasket
-Timing chain, again these bolts are old and brittle. Get new bolts too if you decide to do this yourself. If you break these you have to open up the whole engine and replace the cam. Ask me how I know. o_O
-Trans rebuild around 160-200k ish, it really depends on how it's been driven through
-A/C repairs if you let it sit too long
-Various sensors and electrical bits

You don't need to rush out and do these now, just make sure you keep a rainy day fund for the truck, you'll need it at some point.

Some of the mods that I have done that are worth it are upgrading to the 2500/3500 front calipers and the 9.5" rear end (stronger and better brakes). I have LED lights all around on the exterior, those have been great. I went through and did a whole audio system, all Alpine everything with two amps, one for the 12" sub and one for all the speakers, and 16g wire running to everything. My head unit has navigation, Bluetooth and an AUX cord in the back that runs to an iPod in the glovebox, along with a bunch of other stuff. A winch is very useful, Rough Country makes a hidden winch mount. I have it and their winch on my truck and I love it. I also have newer style towing mirrors. The visibility is excellent but the fit is just ok and they look a little goofy IMO.

I went down the lift/tires/gears rabbit hole and while I enjoy it, it's completely impractical. A set of tires is $2000 now and I get 10mpg. Resist the urge to lift your truck unless you are ready to spend this kind of money to keep it up. It's also just a pain to get stuff in and out of the bed. If you must go bigger, stick with a skinny 33. 285/76r16 fits on a stock truck with stock wheels just fine, they are easy to get and have all the usual brands/models to choose from. Once you go 37+ then your options get limited and expensive.

If you want a lumber rack and a camper shell you can do that, you just need to find a rack made to go with a shell, they usually stick farther out the side and go around the shell. I would look for a used one on Facebook or Craigslist or whatever, get one that is fully welded. I had a bolt-together one and it rattled a lot and just looked cheap.

It also looks like you need a bedliner. You might consider adding more tie downs to the floor or sides of the bed, I often find myself wishing for those.