Need some help using a voltmeter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blower fan won't work
checked for burned wires & connectors and they all look good
checked ground wire/cable on passenger side engine firewall to engine block

Replaced my
fan blower motor & snipped the purple & black wires back 1.5 "
fan blower switch
HVAC AC/ Heat Panel
Blower Resistor
High Speed Blower Relay

Bought this digital multimeter a few months back and I finally have some free time to try to hunt down a few possible burned wires in my harness that's causing my fan blower not to work. It's not blowing on any setting so I need to know which setting should I be using on the voltmeter to test wires. Using a voltmeter is new territory for me so please try to keep your tips in basic English and not too scientific.

How do I test
the brown power wire in the HVAC AC/Heat Panel Control Panel
the purple fan blower wire
the black fan blower wire

and any other wires you guys think I should be checking.

What considered a good voltage range ?

Also, will I need to check with my ignition switch in the on position ?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted in your other thread about the orange and black wires that you found, I think that is your problem with the blower motor, so read that, and do those tests first....

but if here is how to test the brown/purple and black wires that you asked about, I tried to keep the explainations basic and simple, so if you have questions, feel free to ask, or if you already knew something and I'm explaining it overly simplisic, I apologize. I also suck at trying to explain stuff sometimes so tell me if something doesn't make sense

here's another copy of the HVAC schematic that I posted in your other thread. its just easier to have it in front of you while reading this all, and when learning to test electrical systems, you'll want to get familliar with reading schematics like this, if you're not already:
You must be registered for see images attach

okay, now looking at the brown wire comes from the 25A HTR-A/C fuse which according to the schematic is hot in run (aka. power is being supplied while the engine is on and running, and assuming the 25A fuse isn't blown)...and runs directly to the HVAC blower control switch, so pull the switch out of your dash and find where the brown wire connects to it. you'll probably have some kind of plug or something you can unplig from the control panel (I've never had my HVAC controls out, so I don't know what it specifically looks like.), but you can unplug it, turn your truck on, and with your DMM, with the black probe first, you'll want to find a grounding point, the actual battery would be ideal, but you probably won't be able to reach that, so find some nice clean bare metal ground point, and hold the black DMM probe tip against it. then use the red probe tip to touch the metal in the connector on the end of the brown wire. now looking at your DMM readout with the dial on the DC voltage setting (the red boxed setting at ~1 o'clock on the dial, I think the symbol shows a capitol V with dashed lines above it), it will show the voltage at that brown wire. this is a direct voltage source so you should be seeing ~12-14V depending on what your charging system is putting out.

to check the purple fan signal wire, you'll need to connect all the blower control switch back together, then unplug the fan connector (with the purple and black wires), and basically you test it the same way. so turn the truck on, turn the blower motor controls on, find a nice bare metal grounding point to use for the black DMM probe, the use the red probe tip to touch the metal connection on the end of the purple wire. it'll read back the voltage at the purple wire. the voltage it reads will be dependant on what setting the blower controls are set at. my estimation would be 3-4V for low speed, 6-7V for med-low speed, 9-10V for med-high speed, and 12-14V for high speed. (this is assuming that the whole blower motor circuit is functional, if the orange wire that you found in the engine compartment is actually the high speed blower motor wire like I think it is, and it's not spliced together, then you will get zero, (or close to zero) volts as a reading from the purple wire on high speed.

the last one you asked about was the black wire. this one is a little more difficult to test. this wire is a gound wire, so there is no voltage running through it unless power is running through the purple wire, AND through your blower motor, AND assuming that the wire is making a good ground connection (I think the black wire in your engine bay is this wire, and by cutting it makes your blower motor non-functional since the circuit cannot be completed (the electrons have no where to go to return to the battery). however, in order to test ground wires like this, you need to have BOTH ends of the wire available. which is difficult since we have one end of the wire that is at the blower motor plug, but the other end is spliced together with other ground wires and is frame or body grounded somewhere else on the vehicle. (the schematic says that its on the right front wheelhouse). so we have some options when testing wires like this, if we actually DO have both ends of the wire handy and available, what you'll do is to set the DMM to the OHM setting (at approx 2 O'clock on the dial, its the white omega symbol), this setting will read electrical RESISTANCE. so with both ends of the wire touch each probe tip to each end of the wire and it'll give you a readout of the OHMs of the wire. the lower the number the better electricity can flow through it. (remember to look at the upper right portion of the readout, it will give you what units it is using, milliohms (indicated by a lowercase m and the omega symbol) is whatever the readout is times 0.001, so milliohms are very small, ohms (just the omega symbol) are just striaght up ohms, no prefix, so whatever the readout is, is what the ohms are. kiloohms (indicated by a lowercase k and the omega symbol) are whatever the readout is times 1000, so kiloohms are large, and lastly, Megaohms (indicated by a capitol M and the omega symbol) are whatever the readout is times 1,000,000 so Megaohms are huge. so when we're testing the resistance of a wire, we want the smallest number possible. if the readout shows zero Megahoms, then that means the resistance is infinite and the wire does not have any electrical path from one probe to the other, this can happen when the wire breaks, or is cut, etc. this can help test if a wire is broken within the insulation where we can't see.

okay, so testing the resistance of a wire which we have both ends is easy like we said, just touch one probe tip to one end of the wire, the other tip to the other end, and read the resistance, if we don't have the second end of the wire (like in the case of grounding wires and what not, we can touch one end to the black (negative) post on the battery. every ground wire should have an electrical pathway back to the battery. this will probably give higher readings since the length of the wire, the quality of the connection for the wire at the frame/body, as well as the quality of the connection for the frame/body to battery. however it should read something, it should never be infinite (zero megaohms on your DMM)

so those are the ways you can test those wires. however I REALLY think those cut wires in the engine bay are the problem. test those first like I talked about in your other thread, then move on to testing these out if the orange and black ones aren't the problem.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention this, but whenever you're testing something with your DMM, make sure you aren't touching either the metal parts of the probe tips or copper/metal portions of the wire you're testing, with your skin, you do conduct electricity and doing this will skew your readings to be incorrect.

Last edited:

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to help this man out, tracing wiring can be a nightmare.

In general you will find that all wires are either ~5 volts or ~12 volts or a ground. The first two are also switchable so sometimes they will read as ~0.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah 5v and 12v, for controlling wires you're correct, but for the blower fan, each input is 'resistored' down to control the speed of the fan by controlling the input voltage. so thats why I tried to estimate the different speed voltages.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the very helpful information guys. I got a bit tied up with some family stuff today so I didn't get much time under the hood as I planned but I'll dig back in tomorrow as long as the rain stays out on the bay.

What I did find out though....is that 1 set of the orange and black wires are connected to the hood engine light connector so that's working now.
I also peeped the diagram and the other 2 wires are for the blower. Since I'll be making a trip out to the boneyard tomorrow I'll
peep out a few junkers to see how/what those are connected and move on from there. I might also try to pull a ac/heater harness
from another 95 if I'm lucky enough to find 1 while I'm there just in case I find a burned section of wire after I digg into my dash a little deeper.

I also failed to mention that when I was removing my old blower assembly that thing would arc/spark like crazy when the ground
wire contacted the metal base on that unit but when I installed the new unit and made contact with the ground wire on it's base everything
was dead with no arcs or sparks no matter where I touched that ground. I even trying re-installing the old fan blower and it was dead.
It's almost like something blew or burned out but without a electrical burning smell.

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you checked all your fuses, right? there are several for the A/C and blower. it shouldn't be arcing either, something is going on

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checked and replaced fuses & relays.
The arcing thing was only with the old fan blower when I made contact with it's ground wire with the ign. switch on and fan blower switch on the HI setting prior to installing the new parts. Nothing has worked since and I even removed the new fan blower and re-installed the old and it didn't arc or come on which leads me to believe something burned up or is blown.