Need helps with license plate light wiring. (1995 C1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaST

Reaction score
Hello people, I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a '95 C1500 that I'm slowly fixing all the little issues. My next project is the license plate lights, there's only one light installed and it's screwed into the rear bumper rubber pad.

I purchased some new LED light assemblies and I went to install them and it seems the previous owner messed with the wiring and none of the OEM connectors are present.

I think the best solution is to get my hands on an OEM wiring harness but I'm not having much luck finding one. Second best solution is to make my own harness and just hard wire them into the existing wiring (red arrow in the picture).

I'll throw up some pics to show what i'm dealing with. The harness pictured is what I found on ebay, I'm just not sure if that's the correct one for this year truck. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That's the right harness for the factory license plate lights, but PO cut the connector off like an idiot to hardwire in his pos light.

You should be able to find a rear lighting assembly harness at a salvage yard pretty cheap, and they're not hard to remove. That four pin connector in your second image separates the rear lighting harness from the front-to-rear truck harness. They're all the same 88-99, Truck or SUV, with few exceptions.

FloridaST

Reaction score
That's the right harness for the factory license plate lights, but PO cut the connector off like an idiot to hardwire in his pos light.

You should be able to find a rear lighting assembly harness at a salvage yard pretty cheap, and they're not hard to remove. That four pin connector in your second image separates the rear lighting harness from the front-to-rear truck harness. They're all the same 88-99, Truck or SUV, with few exceptions.

Thanks, there's an LKQ a few miles from me, I should probably hit them up and see if they'll let me grab what I need.

Do you see any reason for me to buy the harness I pictured from EBAY? I don't think the mating connector is on the truck, I should just go grab everything from the junkyard.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't bother with the eBay one if you can grab the complete harness setup off a junker.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget to pull the bulbs & verify that the contacts are good.

Also, I'm not sure what your new LEDs came w/ for hardware?
Your factory lights are missing, so you don't have the big c-clips for retaining the lights. So you might need to grab those also.