Need help on the brake light switch for my 96

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinRGV

Reaction score
im having the problem that my brake lights wont turn on when i press the brake pedal. i headed to oreillys and they gave me the brake light switch. but how can i install it and remove the old one? i saw it behind the brake pedal, but it is in a hard to enter position. will i have to drop the steering column or what can i do so i can take off the old one and put the new one in its place

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to drop the colomn or anything like that. It's a pain in the ass but it's not to big of a job. If i recall correctly, you're going to start by removing the brake pedal from the push rod. A snap ring is what fastens the two together, remove the snap ring (be sure to keep it!!) and then unclip the switch from the pushrod and unhook the plug off the switch. Then just do the same thing in reverse to put the new one in. Hope that helps you out a bit bud!

kevinRGV

Reaction score
i installed the new one right now, but the brake lights still dont turn on :( what can it be?

kevinRGV

Reaction score
yea it was the switch. i spent 60 bucks and it turns out it was a fuse lol.