Need help!!! Currently in limp mode 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fathoe93

Reaction score
So I bought my truck and all was great for about a month. Leaving work I noticed that 3rd gear starts I shut the truck off for a few and it would act normal again. It progressively got worst. Now I'm stuck in 3rd gear with manual 2nd. Truck shifts fine for a few mins then limp mode hits. Reset comp, replaced tps, replaced solenoid a & b, new filter. Power to the plug @ 11.8v. Power to solenoid connectors @ also 11.8v. Only dtc I have is 81 2-3 solenoid circuit. Starting to loose my mind on this a shop told me it just needed rebuild. But I personally don't think so. Any ideas? Couple of buddies told me to try to bypass the ign switch with the relay kit or swap out the computer. And thanks in advance for any help it is greatly appreciated!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Can you better describe what it is doing? Think we left a few words out in the first post. Also, you should have a 700R4, not a 4L60E.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do not drive it if it's in limp mode. I reset the computer on my trailblazer when my trans went into limp mode and I blew it up. Dealer tech said it was terrible to do that

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
93 would be a 4L60E. I have had a failure of the shift solenoid and it is exactly what you described. I would be doing resistance checking of the trans harness and the new vs old solenoids. If everything checked out then I would be pulling the valve body and looking for damage/debris/wear.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
93 would be a 4L60E. I have had a failure of the shift solenoid and it is exactly what you described. I would be doing resistance checking of the trans harness and the new vs old solenoids. If everything checked out then I would be pulling the valve body and looking for damage/debris/wear.

I stand corrected!

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
93 was the first year for the 4l60e in these trucks I'm pretty sure. Some had a 700r4 though

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Agreed, sounds like a stuck or damaged valve in the VB

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
93 was the first year for the 4l60e in these trucks I'm pretty sure. Some had a 700r4 though
In 1990 it was renamed the 4l60 (non-e), the -e went into service in 1992, a crossed the board by 94

Fathoe93

Reaction score
Can you better describe what it is doing? Think we left a few words out in the first post. Also, you should have a 700R4, not a 4L60E.

When I reset the comp. it drives fine for a few blocks then bam stuck in 3rd. I have noticed when it shifts from 2-3 it takes awhile higher rpm then normal