NBS Brake Upgrade Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So in my research on the NBS front brake upgrade for our trucks, I've noticed a couple things I wouldn't mind getting a clear question to, I've seen tons of stuff for half tons, but with FSC being gone I can't find much on this swap for K2500/K3500s.

For the 3/4 ton/1-ton trucks, the 99-00 non-HD NBS steering knuckle/spindle will accept the GMT400 tie rod end without modification, is this correct? Or will it need a custom tie-rod end or some reaming to fit?
And after the steering knuckle is swapped ?
I've seen some folks swap the lower control arms along with the steering knuckles, is that required or will I be able to ream the knuckle out to fit the -400 balljoint and retain my stock LCAs?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...I've seen tons of stuff for half tons, but with FSC being gone I can't find much on this swap for K2500/K3500s.

What's the story on FSC? I've seen it's gone, but hadn't been there in quite sometime. Searching online, I've got no clue what happened.

For the 3/4 ton/1-ton trucks, the 99-00 non-HD NBS steering knuckle/spindle will accept the GMT400 tie rod end without modification, is this correct? Or will it need a custom tie-rod end or some reaming to fit?

I've heard something about these knuckle, but I don't know what they are... as far as I know there were no GMT-800 1-tons until the 2001 HDs. They were all GMT-400s. There were 3/4 ton GMT-800's and I always though they were a light duty.... 1/2ton based. I was going to do the swap and the knuckles I got, I think were from a 2003. I recently sold them.

When the first guy on FSC did the swap he said that he made his own tie-rods. I don't recall why. It may have been a matter of if he was going to have to modify something he might as well upgrade rather than make something stock fit.

And after the steering knuckle is swapped ?
I've seen some folks swap the lower control arms along with the steering knuckles, is that required or will I be able to ream the knuckle out to fit the -400 balljoint and retain my stock LCAs?

Somewhere, I read that the forged arms are either very very similar, or possibly the same forging but machined differently. It was probably here on the forum. Check 83gmck2500's build thread. I think the lower shockmount is different, and probably the hole for the balljoint....maybe check to see which ball joint is bigger and go from there?

The reamer was about $100, back when this was first done. Unfortunately, I don't know the specs.

Sorry, if I've responded before and am giving info you already knew. I have mentioned this swap in the past. I was going to do it. In fact, I was one of the first to even mention it publicly on FSC, as far as I know. I never got to it.... too much money, and couldn't spare my truck long enough to fiddle with an unknown modification. I just recently upgraded my front brakes by swapping to the dually/ext.cab brakes/late-van brakes. Basically 370 pads to 459 pads with the appropriate calipers and rotors. Better, but not to dual piston GMT-800 level. I've been driving my uncles van with GMT-800 based brakes.... mucho stopping power.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the story on FSC? I've seen it's gone, but hadn't been there in quite sometime. Searching online, I've got no clue what happened.

I've heard something about these knuckle, but I don't know what they are... as far as I know there were no GMT-800 1-tons until the 2001 HDs. They were all GMT-400s. There were 3/4 ton GMT-800's and I always though they were a light duty.... 1/2ton based. I was going to do the swap and the knuckles I got, I think were from a 2003. I recently sold them.

When the first guy on FSC did the swap he said that he made his own tie-rods. I don't recall why. It may have been a matter of if he was going to have to modify something he might as well upgrade rather than make something stock fit.

Somewhere, I read that the forged arms are either very very similar, or possibly the same forging but machined differently. It was probably here on the forum. Check 83gmck2500's build thread. I think the lower shockmount is different, and probably the hole for the balljoint....maybe check to see which ball joint is bigger and go from there?

The reamer was about $100, back when this was first done. Unfortunately, I don't know the specs.

Sorry, if I've responded before and am giving info you already knew. I have mentioned this swap in the past. I was going to do it. In fact, I was one of the first to even mention it publicly on FSC, as far as I know. I never got to it.... too much money, and couldn't spare my truck long enough to fiddle with an unknown modification. I just recently upgraded my front brakes by swapping to the dually/ext.cab brakes/late-van brakes. Basically 370 pads to 459 pads with the appropriate calipers and rotors. Better, but not to dual piston GMT-800 level. I've been driving my uncles van with GMT-800 based brakes.... mucho stopping power.

I'm not sure what happened to FSC, I went to find the 454 owner's thread and it was gone, same as the threads on this brake swap.
There were some GMT800 2500s, they were sort of oddball trucks from what I've researched.
At first I was just going to do the same swap as you, going to 3500 pads/rotors and all that, but I was looking through Devin's thread and it got me thinking I could use the opportunity to do this swap,