NBS 4l60e into our OBS trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not had any luck with the transmission section of the forum. I was just curious about whether anyone has swapped a NBS 4l60e into our OBS 4l60e. I have 1998 Tahoe with the 2 piece bell housing and 6 bolt rear. I have a 4x4 4L60e out of a 2001 Silverado.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
when i bought my 4L70 fromJeegs they told me it would bolt on the new HT383E i got from them.....nobody knew what the difference betwixt torque converters was either..Jegs wasted lots of my time pretending to know hat i asked...i then went elsewhere...including the guy from Hughes that told me he was over-nighting (@$100)the proper "custom" converter to marry my Vortec motor to the LS style transmission....

the man that installed the trans ended up buying this to make it happen.....

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19154766/10002/-1

and then you have to fu@k with the 4WD shifter linkage because it's now about 5/8" rearward.

i could have avoided ALL that crap if i just bought the GM Performance TC that goes with it, but the stall is too high for what i wanted.

expensive lesson learned on my end.......3 people that sell and sold me these parts didn't know ****...and i paid the toll for my education.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So on top of the adapter stuff and 4x4 shifter it bolts in? Question as to why I cant use the TC from either the newer 4l60e or my TC. Different input shafts? or could I just get a converter that will mate the newer 4l60e and older 5.7?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
So on top of the adapter stuff and 4x4 shifter it bolts in? Question as to why I cant use the TC from either the newer 4l60e or my TC. Different input shafts? or could I just get a converter that will mate the newer 4l60e and older 5.7?

correct on the input shaft, different step setup.....and the LS TC won't bolt to the old flex plate.....might need a different starter too, i did.

after all is said and done i love my setup, especially the shift points on the new 70....the truck just rocks.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
correct on the input shaft, different step setup.....and the LS TC won't bolt to the old flex plate.....might need a different starter too, i did.

after all is said and done i love my setup, especially the shift points on the new 70....the truck just rocks.

So final run down you had a 4l70e, the adapter kit, new starter (OBS or NBS?), obviously new fluid and trans cooler lines? No modifications to the TCM or harness, or modifications to the driveshaft?

The more stuff I have to buy I want to just replaced the stocker or rebuild it. I'm sure its awesome but I didn't want to be that deep into this swap lol. Anything else you had to do?

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It also sucks that the swap to just put a modern LS is so much cheaper to mount to my trans than to mount a modern LS trans to an OBS motor.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
So final run down you had a 4l70e, the adapter kit, new starter (OBS or NBS?), obviously new fluid and trans cooler lines? No modifications to the TCM or harness, or modifications to the driveshaft?

The more stuff I have to buy I want to just replaced the stocker or rebuild it. I'm sure its awesome but I didn't want to be that deep into this swap lol. Anything else you had to do?

NBS starter i believe.....there's enough room for the drive shaft to not need attention....so far, LOL.....nothing done to the electronics.

trust me, if i din't need a trans to handle the torque of this motor, especially after i tune it, i wouldn't have bought this one......i'm just stupid like that.....and stupid people cost me more money than necessary.

at this point in my life it's only money though...and i don't have much at all, but when i mash that pedal i can't get the smile off my face.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NBS starter i believe.....there's enough room for the drive shaft to not need attention....so far, LOL.....nothing done to the electronics.

trust me, if i din't need a trans to handle the torque of this motor, especially after i tune it, i wouldn't have bought this one......i'm just stupid like that.....and stupid people cost me more money than necessary.

at this point in my life it's only money though...and i don't have much at all, but when i mash that pedal i can't get the smile off my face.

Well I am looking at roughly a $600+ trans swap. I also have a NBS 4l80e as an option too. I really just want to get another 98.... I want the new trans but I dont want all the extra stuff honestly but we will see. Bill thank you for the information.