mystery coolant hose - unable to identify

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Affirmative on SAATR's advice to get a scan tool to check the temps. It's important that the ECU's measuring the proper temperature.

What the gauge reads... well, as long as it's consistent day-by-day, that's what matters. My Suburban gauge seems to read low but the ECU's measuring 190F or so as it should.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, it is the correct temperature. 92C is 198F, which is OE spec.

The factory gauges tend to be wildly inaccurate, so don't trust that. Get an infrared thermometer and check the temperature of the thermostat housing once the engine is at operating temperature, or get a scanner that reads live data and see what the ECM is seeing for coolant temp. My truck runs just above 1/4 way mark when the engine is at 195 degrees.
ok thanks for the clarification! i do have an infrared thermometer so i will use it as you describe once i have this back together. Observation: the maxstat 92 plunger is very easy to depress. i received an ac delco 131-151 which was in an ac delco box but within a mahle bag, and it is much harder to depress thermostat plunger.
Affirmative on SAATR's advice to get a scan tool to check the temps. It's important that the ECU's measuring the proper temperature.

What the gauge reads... well, as long as it's consistent day-by-day, that's what matters. My Suburban gauge seems to read low but the ECU's measuring 190F or so as it should.
I did get also get a coolant temp sensor with harness which i did not yet install.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stringer, that drawing in your last post is pretty funky, it shows a engine / hose configuration for a 4.3L Suburban with rear heat(!).

Was the 4.3L *ever* put in a Suburban??? :)
sorry, after looking again Paragon was correct with part number according to rockauto. my bad! it is now ordered. thats what i get for tackling too many things at once haha. kid's gonna love this truck. :)

Last edited: