My Burban - 99 OBS with some stuff - alot of stuff about to go on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bahndrvr

Reaction score
It's nice to see a Burb getting dirty - glad to see it offroad!

Thanks,

Got laid off last week and the Burban isn't doing so well right now, has a huge pulsating, thought it was the tire, drained it, dismounted it and put it back together, still ahve it. Found 2 busted ball joints so that may be it but have brake fluid leaking out the back passenger Drum, I honestly think that may be the problem, it started happening after I did the 4 wheeling and I was using brake modulation to kick the rear gov lock in, so that may be the problem. I will go ahead and get new ball joints for the front as well.

Trying to keep the burban through the layoff, wish me luck, but may have to clean all the toys out - and the Burb is a toy to me at this time to pay bills you know.

I hope it works out, and I ant to get this bodylift on SOON and get on 35's, but time will tell.

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bahn - sorry to hear about your employment issues - my best wishes to grabbing a quality job soon.

With that rear drum, other then the brake line itself, there's only one place it could be leaking...and that part ("Wheel Cylinder) is like $35 for AC Delco. Take off your rear wheel, then the drum cover. You will see a sort of piston mounted at the top - two little pieces of steel come out of this apparatus and push on your shoes.

If that's leaking, it's an easy fix....but i believe you will have to take the pads off and all the springs. If you haven't done this before, take lots of photos or ask someone to help. It's a piece of cake if you've done it before, but learning the first time can be tricky b/c you need a few tools to help with those springs. Of course if you're going to take everything off, now is the time to put new pads on!

Bahndrvr

Reaction score
Bahn - sorry to hear about your employment issues - my best wishes to grabbing a quality job soon.

With that rear drum, other then the brake line itself, there's only one place it could be leaking...and that part ("Wheel Cylinder) is like $35 for AC Delco. Take off your rear wheel, then the drum cover. You will see a sort of piston mounted at the top - two little pieces of steel come out of this apparatus and push on your shoes.

If that's leaking, it's an easy fix....but i believe you will have to take the pads off and all the springs. If you haven't done this before, take lots of photos or ask someone to help. It's a piece of cake if you've done it before, but learning the first time can be tricky b/c you need a few tools to help with those springs. Of course if you're going to take everything off, now is the time to put new pads on!

Thanks man, tore into the ball joints last night, and I needed uppers and lowers, I think I'm going to just do the ball-joint flip for now as I thnk Im' going to return the Bodylift while I can still get the refund for it, if I want it again later, and I end up being able to keep the Burban, I'll reorder it when I can afford it you know.

Finally got this thing running good and might have to sell it, Boy those bottom ball joints are a ******, actually so are the tops LOL.

If I keep it long enough to have to replace them again, SAS for sure now:)

i got the wheel cyllinder as well, will be tearing into it tomorrow more than likely:)

Thanks man.

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man, tore into the ball joints last night, and I needed uppers and lowers, I think I'm going to just do the ball-joint flip for now

Welcome!!

What is a "ball joint flip"?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Welcome!!

What is a "ball joint flip"?

A bad idea on trucks the size of our gmt400s. Basically instead of mounting the ball joint through the A arm as normal the ball joint is bolted on the bottom side essentially eliminating one major safety feature of the factory design...if the bolts/rivits fail on the stock setup the a arm will at least stop the wheel and spindle assembly from flopping over and risking a crash...in a "flipped" set up...if the bolts fail...wheel/spindle assembly can flop over and will prob cause a major accident due to loss of control.