My 66 Chevy II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing the 2004r swap into my '80 vette... Do you like it? what does it cruise at around 60 with the 3.73?

Also, what intake manifold are you using...?

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the 2004r, its about the same size as a th350 , but it needs to be built with the good stuff to survive with any decent power. At 70 I sit around 2000rpms with the 3.73's.
As for the intake it's an Assault intake the previous owner installed. I may change to an airgap later on.
Just want to get the transmission back in and get the car painted so I can enjoy it before the weather gets crappy again.
I have priced out a complete rebuilt unit from California performance transmission aka Art Carr.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAIegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0x1WH6cgcxwjekZJGa0z36

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing the 2004r swap into my '80 vette... Do you like it? what does it cruise at around 60 with the 3.73?

Also, what intake manifold are you using...?

It's the easiest case to use to replace a TH350 with a GM overdrive transmission. Usually move the crossmember a little, and bolt it up. Also it's the same length at a TH350 so no driveshaft mods unlike a 700R4. The 1-2 gear spread is closer than the 700R4 so it drives better.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to see some progress on this thing. I cnt remember if u were gunna put it in hot August nights

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I've been taking my time with it, didn't want to rush and get burned out on it like I did with the stepside.
The plan was to have it out for Hot August Nights. But, it may not happen. With me me finding the week link in the 2004r and still haven't heard back from the shop that has it, the paint I have decided I'm going with a two tone. It will be black up top and a burnt Orange down low with a satin clear over it.
Plus I'm working six days a week. I'm hoping in the next couple days I'll hear back from the trans shop get it built and put back in hopefully next weekend. I still need to scuff the hood and get that sprayed and respray the bumpers and grill and get the paint and clear. I have about 3 weeks to get it done before Hot August Nights to get this on the road.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, not much of an update, still waiting for 2004r to come back from the shop.He finally got it torn apart a couple weeks back and found that I sheared the spines cleanly off the input drum. I ordered some upgraded parts from California performance transmission and dropped them off earlier in the week.
Went down today to see what was going on and they are in the process of putting it back together. May have it back tomorrow . I also finally decided on a color. The plan is to have it painted this weekend. It will be a mandarine Orange for a fiat thatt wil be getting a matte clear.
Only thing I got done during hot August Nights was wet sand the car and fll any imperfections in the body to get it ready for paint.
I also picked up the Holley sniper kit.
I've got it installed, wired and plumbed.

You must be registered for see images attach

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got the 2004r back earlier last week, got it installed and everything hooked back up.
Finally got some color put on it yestetday. Still need to wet sand some areas and hit again with some more clear coat. My friend Chris is spraying it for me. It's a satin clear that is going on it.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, so close, but so far away from getting back on the road.
Wet sanded some more today, got the grill, and bumpers sprayed in the summit brand hot rod black single stage. I need to get a couple more quarts of the clear we are using to make it 5 coats of clear by the time we are done with it. The hood has 5 coats, and so far 3 on the car. Spraying at night with the lights on and the doors open. The goddamn moths were killing themselves on the roof.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many moons ago I painted cars. We used to be able to sand out the clear and buff it. Can you do that with matte clear? Might be a way to get rid of the moth suicide marks.