MSD StreetFire Ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello friends. Here's my issue: I installed a MSD StreetFire ignition box on my 1993 K1500 about 2 years ago now and have been steadily eating though ignition control modules every 6-12 months ever since. It will first start with the engine dying for a half a second and then coming back to life as I'm going down the road and then as soon as I get stopped, the truck will die. So, I hop out (most times at a red light) and unplug the MSD from the coil, plug in the factory harness to the coil without the MSD and then the truck will crank and run long enough to get me where I need to go. The truck is bone stock as far as engine (rebuilt) mods go with exception of a mild cam (irrelevant in this situation) and the MSD box, MSD cap/rotor, and MSD wires. My question is, is there a ICM out there that can handle the MSD a little better? Thanks in advance fellas.

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If there's no major upgrades done why are you running a msd box?

It was a present from a couple of years ago so I figured what the hell... And I do like the extra umph I get from it. The truck does also seem to run better with the exception of when the ICM burns up, like right now... ha