Max HP limit of factory 350 Vortec shortblock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I searched for about an hour last night an couldn't find the exact article. I'm positive it was on Car Craft though.

I know for the stock 72 small block the factory maximum HP rating for the block was only around 380HP. But newer blocks are a bit different, and as you know, people have been able to go way over that on a stock block with different main caps, keeping the bore small, etc. The main limiting factor to a factory small block is how far you can actually bore it before it has problems.

Well thanks for looking dude, I'm gonna check on some of the tpi formums... I think the problem I'm running into here is maybe no one on this forum has actually tried to max out the factory shortblock. My black 97 had full boltons with a 150 shot and it handled it like a champ. I'm fixing to put on my 411 pcm, methanol, vortech supercharger, and build a custom intake... so given I'm not going to have a fuel, octane, or air flow problem I just wanna know how much psi I can push before I blow her up.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I think you're right. I think actual PSI might be a problem before too much power will be though. Most people stay around 8PSI is tops for a stock bottom end.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
im seeing 450ish limit from the majority of my searches. as long as your not revving it over 6k or so for a long time then your rods and everything should all be intact. dont wquote me on that but thats from a majority of my readings.

That was kinda what I was thinking, roughly 425-475.... tuning and over revving is going to be the key here. Which isn't nothing I ain't used to in the Ford and Lightning world... they came with a bad ass forged crank, decent mahle pistons, and sucky powdered rods rated for 450 hp. When I was running my kenne bell on factory sb and 17 psi I felt like I was tight rope walking lol

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I think you're right. I think actual PSI might be a problem before too much power will be though. Most people stay around 8PSI is tops for a stock bottom end.

Well you gotta remember bro, psi and power go hand in hand... more psi=more power :)

So whatever hp 8psi is making, that could roughly be the hp limit

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
im no power adder expert but dont you need to play with compression a bit then too. i know for naturally aspirated more compression is ideal for more power, on the other hand id go into the motor and recheck all the specs to racing standard, my firned bought a truck with a fresh 350 in it that sounded like hell, forged crank, rods, pistons whatever there was about 8k into the engine but when we took it out the crank was snapped, so they way an engine is built properly vs thrown together can cahnge the strength to hp game a bit. but im pretty sure you already knew that. on the other hand i hate ford 4.6L's we had about 3 dozen of them in shop class everyone was too dumb to rebuild them so i had to and that sharp aluminum cuts your hands up quick.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
QUOTE=TylerZ281500;427101]im no power adder expert but dont you need to play with compression a bit then too. i know for naturally aspirated more compression is ideal for more power, on the other hand id go into the motor and recheck all the specs to racing standard, my firned bought a truck with a fresh 350 in it that sounded like hell, forged crank, rods, pistons whatever there was about 8k into the engine but when we took it out the crank was snapped, so they way an engine is built properly vs thrown together can cahnge the strength to hp game a bit. but im pretty sure you already knew that. on the other hand i hate ford 4.6L's we had about 3 dozen of them in shop class everyone was too dumb to rebuild them so i had to and that sharp aluminum cuts your hands up quick.[/QUOTE]

Haha come on dude, they ain't that bad. I've built a few 5.4s. Keep in mind, yes I will be building another motor, not my first rodeo for that but I just wanna know what I'm working with straight from the factory so I know how far I can go right.... yall are making this complicated lol

Here's the L with factory longblock and kenne bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRB5y8ri0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if your worried about how much power it will make, buy a 4 bolt version of your motor. I just did that this mornig. Picked up a vortec 350 4 bolt for 600 with the serpentine system and injection system

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
I dont know the max flywheel HP
But as we all know each engine is different from one L31 block to the next L31. one might hold 500 and the next might pop at 425. none the less I've had machinists tell me before that 4 bolt is kinda a joke lol they said that if the crank breaks 2 bolts it'll break 4. he also said that he has seen 500 HP on a 2 bolt. Any ways on with the real question at hand. 6-8 psi not over 10 if you want it to be a relaible DD. I've heard that people have pushed in the high teens in PSI. But the engine only held for six months to a year. I like this thread because you and I are on the same page how far can I push my stock rotating assembly. I'm planning a turbo set up on stock block and internals. New intake though.
looking for 450 HP we'll see. Thanks guys.
Crewcab Steve.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
im nearing 400HP on my 4-bolt 638 casting block, (TBI), which is virtually the same as a 880 block (Vortec)

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
2bolt vs 4 bolt is an age old debate though, some people swear by their 2 bolts and likewise others by 4's. some people say 4 bolts are better for track cars revving higher for longer and others say 2 bolts can handle more power for shorter and less rpms. my theory is, if you build it correctly then you should have no issues with it. not many people are gonna do 800+hp on a 2 or 4 bolt 350 and if they do theyll move to aftermarket blocks with provisions that the factory blocks didnt.

once again obviously known information just setting it out there.